www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:01 pm 

Hi,
Haven't posted on here in a while but I've been wondering something.

My incontinence is thought to be neurological...a combination of retention, urgency and (mostly) the bladder just suddenly emptying. However, despite this being pretty bad in the day often (whole bladder multiple times a day), I've always remained dry at night. I always wear protection to bed because I can wet right up to the moment I fall asleep + from the moment I wake up, but I'm always dry whilst asleep. I say 'dry', I'm aware if I was wearing pants they'd be slightly damp but that's about it. Even whilst I've had UTIs and been 100% incontinent, my bladder has waited until I'm awake to empty.

Anyone else experience this or can explain it?

The only explanation I can think of is that my body is working properly in terms of producing less urine at night and that the faulty signals to my bladder don't happen when at rest because they're not automatic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:42 am 
Admin

If you are dry at night, then your body is probably producing the antidiuretic hormone (known as arginine vasopressin) like it should. It tells the kidneys to slow urine production that way you can sleep through the night.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:25 pm 

I'm often the same way myself. I know if I wasn't in protection I'd feel damp, but overall I don't wet during the night. However I wet during the day pretty much daily, to the point that if I'm not in the toilet for something else, chances our I'll be wetting my protection instead.

Sometimes I do feel a bit weird about it, but I guess at the end of the day it doesn't change the fact that I need to wear protection.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:01 pm 

I'm the same way too.I'm always dry until I wake up. I have to take some strong meds at night and that is probably why.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:56 pm 

I have the same situation in that I have always been completely dry while sleeping at night, while I have low to medium urine leakage during the day.

I know that "producing less urine at night" is not the reason for my not leaking even a single drop at night, because at times, I have woken up in the morning with more than 16 oz of urine in my bladder. During day time, I can hold only 2 to 4 oz (sometimes even less) before the leakage starts.

Incidentally, my leakage problem started about a year back after prostate cancer treatment. Also, none of the two urologists, I have seen during the last year, have tried to make any guess about the reason for my leakge during day and no leakage at night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:22 am 
Admin

Hello aktr, welcome to the forum... interesting how the body can work, or fail to work properly a bit different for everyone... none the less, it is still a pain to deal with! :evil: Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:38 am 

Reading the posts on this blew me away. . . I have urge inco. . . and while it's not always true. . many nights i'm either dry or nearly so, but may wake up and almost instantly flood. Mines also thought to be neurologic related though I've never had a definative diagnosis. I've always thought it was the weirdest thing and wondered how that could be. I'll even throw in a twist. . sometimes the reverse is true and I can be wet every night while haveing little or no real issues during the day. It's made me wonder if I'm just insane and my inco is some kind of conversion disorder or what? Reading everyones posts on this made my day! Maybe there is just something strange at work here. . something to do with hormone levels sleeping Vs awake or the chems that the brain uses to keep the body still during sleep or. . . dunno, but it raises some interesting questions. Thanks to everyone who posted on this!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 pm 

responses to this have reassured me too. I too have a habit of second guessing myself and worrying about weird conversion stuff. This is largely because of a lack of diagnosis for my primary condition and a lot of disbelief.

I think urge incon just doesn't necessarily effect the hormones required to surpress urine urge and production during sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 pm 

I am all over the map. Sometimes I have daytime problems, sometimes I have night time problems, and sometimes I am dry both day and night. Right now, I seem to be in a daytime cycle.. I don't like wearing protection because most of the time I can make it to the bathroom without any problems. But there are times when my bladder just lets loose and I am wet. That happened to me today at work. I don't know why it is so variable and neither do my urologists. I have diabetes and most of the Drs. just assume it is diabetic related. But I can go for weeks without any problems and then I will usually wet the bed and then I have mixed problems both day and night. It drives me crazy at times. I know that if I wear protection, I will use it. Seems the brain knows when it is ok to let go, or at least most of the time. Like someone said, I wonder about my sanity at times because nobody can figure this out. I've tried most of the meds and they either do nothing or just give me bad headaches. And I can't tell if my dryness is due to the meds or it is just that I'm in control. I've even tried using meds when I have this problem and it doesn't seem to make any difference. So this is just weird. I don't want to wear diapers all the time, but I almost feel that I should. Today wetting my pants at work was very distressing and embarrassing. Luckily, I was able to duck out and go home and change. I always wear dark colored pants for exactly this reason. I never know from one day to the next if I will be damp, totally soaked or dry. It does help reading that others seem to be in the same soggy boat as me. It helps talking about it cause there isn't anyone else who would understand. I've about given up on the Drs. I had one who wanted to so surgery to fix my ED problem (which I wasn't asking to get fixed) and not dealing with the problem that I was asking for help on. Has anyone really gone through getting surgery to help? I don't think I would ever do that, but it does make me worry that as I get older, I will become a burden on someone. Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 am 

I am going down the surgery route at the moment. I am going to have botox injections in to my bladder. I'm not sure if I would go for anything that affects the structure of the bladder though.