www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:24 am 

So far I only have incontinence of both and they come and go.And some times my fingers feel like they are going to sleep. And also dry out and crack real bad if I don`t keep a hand cream that I use on them. My heart doctor says it is not his field as I thought at first it was the Crestor and I do think that does aggravate it but that is not all of it. I went off it for a while and it would still happen but not as often. I only take it one time a week now and for 24 to 48 hours after I do I seem to have no control over bladder or bowel.but then it gets better but like yesterday morning I went to Home Depot and craped my self then the rest of the day everything seem normal I felt when I needed to go until about 4 PM and I was just standing at the kitchen table looking at the mail and I felt the feeling my bladder was full and I needed to go and in less than five seconds I was wetting my self and could not stop.I had been out all day and feeling when I needed to as you normally would.And had plenty of time to find a restroom. I wear diapers 24/7 any more and like at Home Depot they have saved me a lot of times.I do take Devrom some one on here told me about and it is a God send for me as it does work very well for me.I had tried other things that did not work.I have messed my self in the car and my wife never knew and she will tell me if she smells anything.The worst thing to me is having to change away from home but I made up a note book computer bag that holds a diaper and wipes and a bag to put the dirty diaper in.And it still holds my note book :D So no one notices any thing when I go in a rest room with it.We travel and camp a lot and when we have the RV trailer I just will stop and go back to it and change.On the few trips we go on with out it I will use the family rest room if the rest area has one.
I will be seeing my Family doctor soon and will go from there.The last time we talked we thought it was all from my Meds.But when I was in the hospital about a year and a half ago they did test for a week and did not find anything.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 am 

That was a most interesting post Wink. Pretty much describes my problem. I can have normal continence one day and bam the next day I have no control. I take tons of meds (including Crestor). I suspect one of them gave me diabetes, but never suspected that one gave me incontinence. I've been having incontinence issues most of my life going way back to when I was a kid, but it didn't get significantly worse until I was taking bunches of drugs per day. I don't change anything day-to-day now and some days I can tell I need to go and other days I can't tell. I try to be continent as much as possible, but recently I'm spending more time in diapers than not. The other day, I did a big load at Safeway and had to do several other stops before I could get home to change. Most of the time, my messy diapers happen at home so I don't feel that I'm offending anyone. This is a very tough way to live. When I'm not wearing a diaper, I worry about having an accident, but I don't feel that I should just wear diapers 24/7 yet but that may be an easier way. I've asked many times if others have had to face the decision of going diapers full time. There isn't a best answer because diapers have their own issues too. I have a tough time figuring out when the time to change is and I get leaks. Sometimes I can feel the urine coming out and sometimes a can't. Sometimes the only indication that I'm wetting is I have a warm feeling in my diaper or there is a stream running down my leg.

Thanks Wink for sharing your experiences. Do you know what originally started your incontinence? I'd be very interested to hear more about your thoughts about drug related incontinence. I feel that my drugs are helping me to stay healthy, but recently I was told my potassium was too high probably caused by the Accupril I take for high blood pressure. I cut my dose in half and now I'm not having as many heart arrhythmias. I take gabapentin for nerve pain and I think that has reduced my bladder spasms that I once had. I take a slug more meds for various reasons and you never know if there is some unreported interaction that causes who know what. None of these things get tested together, it would be an impossible test, so there is no way to know if two drugs work as the should or interact to do something that is not intended.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 am 

Wink and dangoch: your systems sound like mine.
All my problems started 30yrs ago with bladder and bowel issues but unlike you my bowel problems did not stay at home. Those were some of the worst times in my life.
Bowel problems are under control now about 99% of the time but still flairs up on occasion.
I have posted this before I have CIDP and autonomic neuropathy. According to my neurologist my neuropathy has or is in the process of attacking the vagus nerve. This nerve controls most everything internal.

My bladder is now flaccid with retention I have no feeling both urinating and bowel at all and cannot urinate on my own. I take large amounts of stool softeners, laxatives and enemas to keep things moving.
Between my neurologist and urologist I now use a Foley catheter 24/7 and have for over a year now.

As for the Foley catheter I don’t know it is there and I find it much more comfortable than the alternatives. But when we are out to the mall or traveling I still wear diapers just in case of a bowel issue.

All this is so much fun especially when traveling.

We go to Disney World every year and traveling with a Foley catheter makes it a little easier.

Lyle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 am 

Danoch
i went in the hospital Augest of 2010 for a heat attack they said.I walk in but was feeling really strange so they did a heart cath and did not find any thing blocked.Kept me three days and send me home all was good.They had ma on a med that I don`t remember what it was.About a week latter I was feeling really bad and was wetting all over my self every few minutes and could not stop.Did another heart cath and nothing but it was really bad to have to lay there flat for 8 hours after it as I was still wetting.My Potassium was really low so they started giving it to me and I got better.I think it was what ever it was they had me on for my heart. But now all I take is 20 mg Crestor one time a week,Aspirin,Fosinopril 20 mg and Frosemide which is the same as Lasix.That was when it started that I would say I was incontinent .So I don`t know if something happen when I went to the hospital or the meds they gave me.But something happen that last time that I was wetting my self.They di I don`t know what all kinds of test but never told me any thing as to what happen the last time I went in.before that August I had never been in a hospital for any thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:33 pm 

Wow - I remember you telling that story in another thread. Seems to me you have a medical malpractice case if you can figure out what they did. It sure doesn't make sense that you get something for your heart and now you can't control your bladder. The crestor is the only med we have in common. I take so many it is too long a list but I take medformin for diabetes, gabapentin and cymbalta and just recently lyrica for nerve pain and accupril for blood pressure and a few meds I can't remember for heart arrhythmia. It is sad that Drs. don't really treat you any more, they just write prescriptions. I wonder what would happen if I stopped all my pills. I know my diabetes would be a problem, but I really do think that the cholesterol drugs (statin) caused my diabetes. Don't know if it would go away if I stopped, I rather doubt it. But I'm too chicken to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:31 pm 

I did stop mine for a while and my cholesterol and blood pressure did go up. I tryed other stuff in place of Crestor and either did`t work or messed me up worse.One thing that is strange is at night I may leak a little but I wake up when I have to go.Just when I set up or stand I better not be more than a few feet from the bath room.But no matter how many times I go at night I am still just damp in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:02 pm 

I find gravity affects my bladder too. I can't feel any level of fullness in my bladder, but if I am sitting watching TV or something and standup, I find that I take a few steps and I starts going, not every time, but frequently. Especially on long car trips. Also I find that turning on the water seems to have an affect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:58 pm 
Admin

I finally saw the neurologist this morning. All my tests came back normal except for a peripheral neuropathy. So far, he can't see any abnormal autonomic function. I described to him my incontinence and he believes that it is caused by my psych meds. He said his tests rule out anything neurological. So I can cross that off my list. He said a peripheral neuropathy would not cause incontinence. So I have to pursue the reason above that my psych meds make me leak.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 am 
Admin

That is good th hear Don, at least that is one thing you can rule out, still have the issue, but 1 step further in your pursuit of answers, Puffy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:33 am 

I went to my cardiologist yesterday and he does not even have the report from when I was in the hospital when all this started to happening.And he saw me while they were doing all the test there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next