www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urodynamic test advise
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:38 pm 

I have a severe neurologic bladder, which causes incontinence and it’s becoming a major burden to my life. I’m only 26 years old, and I’m a college student. On top me having to worry about what’s going to be taught in class I have to make sure I change my diaper in between classes so I don’t leak. I’ve had embarrassing incidences which has killed my self confidence. I have had an MRI, CT scan, and one test that was similar to an ultra sound where they tested to see if I’m emptying my bladder completely after I pee. They have had me complete a bladder diary too. After all those test they can’t find the problem. After my MRI they found that I have two bulging disc and Spondylolisthesis, but it’s unlikely that it’s causing it, so now they want to do this urodynamic test, but I’m deathly afraid of catheters. They said it may not change anything, so as of now I declined it. Did anyone else have this done? If so did it help? I’m currently taking Oxybutynin which has reduced me from 7 or 8 diapers per day 4 or 5 which has made life much better for me, but I expressed to the doctor I really want this to be behind me, and be completely free of them, or at least just keep a small pad in my underwear, but she said at this point I will likely never be able to stop using diapers to stay dry. I’m really afraid of having something inserted in my penis, but if this test made cured anyone’s incontinence than I will try to talk myself into it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Also, question about diapers.

So I use Tena brand with a cloth exterior to school because they are much more discreet and ABRI-FORM M4 palstic backed at home because they are much more absorbent and are much more effective especially for bed. I’ve tried a few others like dry 24/7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:14 am 

Welcome to the forum Lhouse93

Sorry you have to deal with incontinence at a young age, wearing a thicker plastic backed diaper like dry 24/7 or Betterdry (my diaper of choice to manage my OAB bladder issue) will help give you more confidence as you can trust them to do their job and with the added capacity you will have to change less often.

if 5 years of wearing no one has noticed or said anything about my diapers just 2 people mentioned my need for a back pack when I head to the bathroom.

The test your urologist wants to do is quick and easy but there is a slight discomfort when the camera enters the bladder but that only lasts a few seconds (at least it did for me), the test may not lead to a cure but it will give your urologist a clear picture of whats happening and will help her to rule out some life threatening issues.

Ive had the test done twice and will probably have a third in a year or two, and cant recommend the test enough to help figure out what’s happening and to give you peace of mind.

Unfortunately you may never be free of diapers but with a diaper you can trust managing incontinence issues
does get easier I skipped the meds my self as I really don't want to deal with any of the possible side effects and if they only reduce the issue why bother taking the risk. Thicker diapers are not noticeable with the correct clothing and they give you peace of mind when you have an accident that they will do their job.

my view is a thicker diaper is less noticeable then wet pants when a thinner more discreet diaper fails :) we all dislike being back in diapers but life is not that bad in them its just more challenging.

hope you come to terms with your issue and get some better protection. there nothing to be scared of when getting the test done as its done all the time and is well worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:19 am 

I've, had this test 3 times now. I use intermittent catheters quite a bit anyway, so compared to these the catheter they use for the test is very thin. The tests have confirmed my diagnosis and given the evidence needed to try sacral nerve modulation. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm 

Thank you for the warm welcome and advise! I will try to sum up the courage to get this test done. Worst case scenario I can’t say I didn’t do all I could do to combat this. The dry 24/7 worked the best for me so far, but as I said I just don’t have the courage yet to wear them to school. I just feel so ridiculous wearing them, but you’re right...visibility leaking is more embarrassing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:50 am 

Lhouse93,

Add my welcome to those above.

I have had this exam several times. It is embarrassing, especially with all the medical personnel with you in the room while the urologist works on you. However, it is not painful, and it may give your urologist the information necessary to decide how to treat your condition. During this exam, my then urologist actually watched my bladder go into a spasm ("hissy fit," in his words) which explained the agony I was feeling. Brace yourself, but go for it. It could give your urologist the information necessary to treat you successfully. Good luck and report back when you can.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:02 pm 

I know this is an older thread but it seemed like the right place to post. I have just received today an appointment confirmation for the cystoscopy. A very good Urologist referred by my General Physician. He is actually Chief of Urology in the Department of Surgery at that Hospital
And so the tests begin to try and figure out what is going on down there. I am 67 this year and I have been through and seen a lot but I am still very nervous about this, what will they find? I am supposed to drink 500ml before the visit . I am also worried about what to wear. I think a tape on full brief would be the best option . I am embarrassed enough just wearing a diaper and plastic pants every day , and now I am going into an exam room with people I don't know and I also just know I will be wet before I even get there . I am going to bring a couple of changes because I will need them before the exam and most likely after.
I am sure that the worry about what they find is more consuming than that of the exam itself or the not knowing what the problem really is all about. It is a start for me of a journey that many of you have already been through. Thank you all for the previous posts . It helps a lot knowing what is coming. Thanks for letting me vent a little.