www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:07 pm 

Hi all, sorry it's been a while. I hope everyone is as well as can be!

So a quick question - I'm just about to place an order and would like some advice on UK available products. I'm currently using Betterdry which are working very well but the Abena maxi insert pads that I used to order seem to have downsized so I now need to find a replacement which holds enough.

I work long hours and bulk isn't an issue thankfully, as I need to wear baggy cargo pants for my job anyways.

Can anyone advise on a maximum absorbency insert pad that isn't too hard to source in the UK please? And also, if anyone is aware of a higher absorbency nappy than BetterDry then I would love to know too!

Many thanks guys x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:04 pm 
Admin

Hey. I formerly purchased the old style Abena abri-let maxi inserts. They were highly absorbent. Now I get the new style Abena maxi’s and they work out well. I use them with a dry 24/7 brief and it is a good combination. I’m not concerned about bulk. The diapers are highly absorbent and I get several hours of wear. I am bowel incontinent as well and the pad is not thick enough to interfere with fecal containment between the leak guards. So it works out for me. I would say try them if you have not and make a decision then. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:08 pm 

Aye, they were what I used to get as well. They were fantastic. Absolutely gutted they have downsized. I did get the new version of the Abena Abri Let Maxi with my last order but I was disappointed with them. I was hoping somebody on here would know of a suitable replacement product. If not I'll just have to buy twice as many which isn't ideal....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:53 pm 

Are you looking for a true "booster" that allows liquid to flow through to the main diaper (nappy) or would a "pad" with a non-flow through backing work? For a true booster I'm afraid I can't be of any help as to what is available in the UK. However if a non-flow through pad would work there are quite a few available to you. Tena has a range of Tena Men pads and Abena has some called Abri-Man. It looks like those will hold between 450 and 710 mL. The thing I most like about using the pads is that they can be very quickly removed (and replaced if desired) in a regular bathroom stall in just seconds, and with virtually no noise. Extras can easily be carried in the pockets of cargo pants without anyone noticing and the used pad can be rolled up and discreetly disposed of in a waste bin.

There is one more option which will seem a bit odd but works very well, and that is to use a baby diaper instead of a pad. Be aware that they will swell up a good bit when wet, but they have a truly tremendous capacity. Adding one of these to a Better Dry would give a huge total capacity. Of course you would want to remove the baby diaper when soaked but you would still have nearly the entire Better Dry's capacity still available. Another nice thing about the baby diapers is that they are fairly inexpensive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:12 pm 

Hey Padded53, thanks for the tip. I am not looking for a backed pad though, basically I'm just looking for the thickest/ most absorbent booster pads I can find. Abena used to make great ones but they have since downsized... I order from Save Express in Germany if that helps? Would be good to know if anyone here is familiar with any of their other products. Cheers