www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:22 am 

After having problems with skin irritation at the moment again I was wondering what I can do for a better prevention and started some search on google to see how others are dealing with the problem. Beside of the usual information like „change as often as possibel“, „always wash your skin when you change“ or „use protection with a sufficient quality“ I stumbled over opposing positions that makes me a bit wonder:

Cleaning: While some sources to say - just use clean water - no soaps - and maybe a mixture of water and a bit citric acid or vinegar - other saying don’t use water but special wet wipes and lotions.

Creams:
some sources say barrier creams - especially those with petrolatum are contra-productive because they make the skin even more dry because they take out the skin lipids (same effect like lipsticks) - and more over the cream make the skin more vulnerable for bacteria and fugal diseases because the cream fills the pores of the skin and don’t let it breath. 

Other sources contradict this and claim these creams are even good for daily usage because modern barrier creams do not have this problem (like vaseline) because they consist of new W/O emulsions that are partly absorbed by the skin, do not seal the skin completely and doesn’t have the high occlusive effects.

More over some sources say these creams will reduce the absorption rate of incontinence products while other they this problem does not exist due to special tuning processes of the petrolatum or the usage of silicon polymeres instead of paraffin oil.

After this litte research I’m a bit confused. At last I using barrier creams only when I see skin irritations and I’m using water and a mild soap for washing - but now I wonder if this can be improved to get a better rush protection.

So I’m curios, how all of you handele this and what’s your experiences with incontinence skin care products.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:15 pm 

I use Sudocrem. I figured that if it's OK for baby skin (I used sudocrem on my kids when they where babies), it's OK for adults as well. But as well as it protects the skin, it also sticks to the skin, so I pay attention to washing it off twice a day.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:07 am 

I keep myself shaved and wash with Ivory soap at as many changes as possible. I use Desitin, and, at bedtime, I add J&J cornstarch powder.