www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:31 pm 

I usually use a high quality diaper (Abriform, Northshore, Confidry) during the day. I found several packages of less absorbent tabbed diapers at the Goodwill and decided to try them knowing very well that they would be less absorbent and I would need to change more. For several days, I brought extra generic diapers with me and would change every 3-4 hours or after 1-2 wettings. Just depends on how wet the diaper feels and when I can change again. Adjusting my routine to accomodate less absorbent diapers is not the problem. The problem rises when you are unexpectedly stuck in a situation when you cannot change. My commute to work is usually 1 hour and I usually change before I leave for work. This week there was a car accident that blocked traffic for 2 hours. The diaper was already damp before I left and I had to use it during the traffic jam. I was worried the entire time thereafter about the diaper leaking. Fortunately, it was ok. I haven't had this much anxiety about my protection in years. I won't be straying from my trusted diapers again. That safety margin for leaks is priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:24 pm 

Well said fiacs:
Knowing your protection and matching that to the anticipated situation is really the key to managing incontinence. Boards like this one help a lot to steer you in the right direction but personal trial and error is still required to fine tune things and reduce anxiety to near zero.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:32 pm 

fiacs wrote:
I usually use a high quality diaper (Abriform, Northshore, Confidry) during the day. I found several packages of less absorbent tabbed diapers at the Goodwill and decided to try them knowing very well that they would be less absorbent and I would need to change more. For several days, I brought extra generic diapers with me and would change every 3-4 hours or after 1-2 wettings. Just depends on how wet the diaper feels and when I can change again. Adjusting my routine to accomodate less absorbent diapers is not the problem. The problem rises when you are unexpectedly stuck in a situation when you cannot change. My commute to work is usually 1 hour and I usually change before I leave for work. This week there was a car accident that blocked traffic for 2 hours. The diaper was already damp before I left and I had to use it during the traffic jam. I was worried the entire time thereafter about the diaper leaking. Fortunately, it was ok. I haven't had this much anxiety about my protection in years. I won't be straying from my trusted diapers again. That safety margin for leaks is priceless.

well said!

I plan my daily protection with the goal to change at lunch every day but I still use products that have proven to work for me for up to 16hrs why? because my planned 8 or 10hr day can turn into nearly 16 to 20+hours on a moments notice often when this happens the ability to sneak away to change goes out with the daily plan! while usually, I can find a moment to change later having the peace of mind that IF I need to delay the protection I use CAN allow me to postpone my changes. I also use a single layer flannel brief and a PUL pant over my disposable for the rare but occasional leak that can happen when you extend a brief change.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:25 pm 

realworldic: where do you get flannel briefs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:05 am 

justej wrote:
realworldic: where do you get flannel briefs?

two items I use every day along with my daily diaper is a single layer flannel briefs these are super thin and not very tight to constrict the diaper but capable to abosrb the small amounts needed when a disposable does leaks the second one is t-shirt onesie (in black ) both items I purchase from babykins.com out of Canada. I have had great success with the quality of these items from this manufacture some of the onesies are over 10years old!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:37 pm 

Fiacs,

This message is similar to what I have posted before, but if you haven't considered it, there are external devices on the market that may work for you to control the leakage. Personally, I wasn't thrilled with any of them for mainly comfort and convenience reasons. Forgive me on this, but I then started on a path to develop a better product that is comfortable and convenient. I'll only say at this point that it is made of soft silicone and can be worn all day long. There is need to remove or adjust prior or after urinating. (I wear mine 14 hours every day and sometimes at night, depending on my hydration.) I'll be happy to provide more info, if you are interested. Regardless, try to reduce the leakage rather than deal with the leakage is something I suggest you should look into. Best wishes to you. Duane dglisan@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:44 am 

Good luck with your product research and development. I guess my skin must be exceptionally oily, because all the external catheters I have tried have come unglued, resulting in what otherwise would have been avoidable accidents.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:54 pm 

Well said, I absolutely hate when the insurance company messes with what they send. I like the comfort of a reliable product I don't have to second guess.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:49 am 

fiacs wrote:

I use Tena Slip or Abena/Abri Form nappies. They work well enough for me even with my heaviest incontinence.