www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:39 am 
4wheeldave wrote:
I have been catheterised for over four years now so consider myself an expert on the subject. First of all to let a catheter drain into a diaper is ridiculous. Why would anyone want to. You either use a flip flow valve or let it drain into a leg bag. I use a combination of the two. I have a valve and a leg bag so am in control when my bladder empties. This means my bladder will be maintained and not shrink to the size of a golf ball. Secondly anybody who is catheterised for more than three days has a UTI. The balloon in the bladder gives bacteria a surface to grow on. However this does not mean you will automatically get poorly. You only get poorly if you become symptomatic and will need antibiotic. Foley catheters are dangerous I now only have one testicle having to have one removed a few months ago because of an infection. It's certainly not to be considered litely. The only way I stay well is to have an antibiotic for three days before each catheter change and to drink drink and drink. 12 to 14 drinks per day is a norm for me. 4wheeldave.

There's a number of issues that need to be addressed with your response.

a. Four years doesn't make you an expert, it only makes you experienced. Driving my Kia down I-94 doesn't qualify me at Indianapolis.
b. I agree, letting an open ended Foley catheter drain into a diaper is that actions of a fool who deserves what he or she gets.
c. A Flip-Flo not a "Flip flow" valve is a great way to keep your bladder acting as it should to retain the right amount of urine so it doesn't shrink.
d. Making the statement that someone being "catheterised for more than three days has a UTI" lacks all "expertise". I suggest you have someone else catheterize you, and avoid the obviously unsterile unclean environments you have the catheter done in.
e. Having lost a testicle to infections sounds like the grounds for a lawsuit. Foley catheters are not dangerous and you or those around you are not using them properly. This is not surgery and should not require days of antibiotics prior to changing and\or inserting. Reusing them may be why you have serious issues.
f. "12 to 14 drinks per day". I hope you're not talking about alcohol. 5-7 bottles of water per day is sufficient. To much more might be overdoing it.

Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:46 am 

My reason for needing a diaper plus a Foley was that I experienced leakage around the catheter. When my bladder would spasm, the Foley was not enough to catch everything, making the diaper necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 pm 
Patrick wrote:
My reason for needing a diaper plus a Foley was that I experienced leakage around the catheter. When my bladder would spasm, the Foley was not enough to catch everything, making the diaper necessary.

Oh I hear ya' Patrick, I do the same thing. I was referring to B Brian who says he lets his Foley drain openly into the diaper. No a smart move pron or not pron to UTI's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:39 am 

Catheters are dangerous and ammount to over half of infections contacted by people in hospital who are catheterised for more than three days. And believe me being catheterised for more than four years does make one an expert. My information about infection after three days is totally accurate you can find that information on the internet no problem. There is nothing wrong with my catheter care team or the way I am catheterised. I got very sick on Christmas day 2014 with orchitis and prostatitis and that's why I had the testicle removed in March it was dead. Being incontinent is not easy but controling it by catheterisation is a huge and can be dangerous step. I think this fact needed pointing out in this thread and I stand by everything I said. I actually don't use a flip flow valve so that's why I spelt it wrong I use a valve made by Libra.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:04 am 
Just watch the "Training" videos on how they catheterize patients and you'll see they contaminate their gloves while opening the packaging and then touch the catheter. Big surprise they get uti's.

Considering all the problems and issues you're posted on this site, it's understandable that infections are going to come your way. I'm sorry you've had so many problems.

No, you don't have a medical license so you're experienced NOT AN EXPERT!!! If you were an expert, you wouldn't be here you'd be posting articles on a medical site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 pm 

Yes infections do come my way and just about everyone else who has one inserted for more than three days. Fact.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:42 am 
You're right, "just about everyone else" get an infection. When the catheter is inserted it introduces bacteria into the body. That is a fact. It doesn't mean you're "infected". We have what's called an immune system. Go to lunch, eat your meal, and it might contain a small amount of salmonella. If the amount small enough and your immune system is strong enough, you probably won't get what's called "food poisoning".