www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:05 pm 

Hi there,

I have had incontinence for since I was 16, its been about 12ish years now. Ive stopped medication due to the fact that it never seemed to work and the side effects to the medication wasn't worth the results. I've gone on to try different forms of therapy, such as acupuncture and pelvic floor exercises. I have found those to be a lot more effective. So I wanted to hear from you guys, what motivated you to switch from medication to other forms of therapy?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm 

Hiasco wrote:
Hi there,

I have had incontinence for since I was 16, its been about 12ish years now. Ive stopped medication due to the fact that it never seemed to work and the side effects to the medication wasn't worth the results. I've gone on to try different forms of therapy, such as acupuncture and pelvic floor exercises. I have found those to be a lot more effective. So I wanted to hear from you guys, what motivated you to switch from medication to other forms of therapy?

I've tried a couple different meds with, it appears, the same result as you...they either didn't help, or only helped marginally, and the side effects weren't worth it. Headaches, continual stuffy nose, insomnia, etc. I had already committed to diapers 24/7, so why bother with the side effects?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:01 am 

In the years prior to my sphincterotomy, urologists tried several medications on me, all anticholinergics, which gave me intense dry mouth, so I drank way too much water, which made my incontinence worse, not better. The last medication was Botox injections, which worked as advertised, but wore off after successively shorter lengths of time, eventually making the sphincterotomy necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:50 am 

The same for me also. The side effects where too much and they barely helped.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:16 pm 

Yeah. Side effects. Dry mouth (and thus, bad breath), grogginess, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, reduced sweating resulting in heat sensitivity, trouble voiding (which leads to wetting more often than without the anticholinergics as the bladder decides to empty after "finishing the deed"), thirst (and thus increased liquid consumption --> more problems with urinary stuff), slowed cognitive functions, trouble concentrating. The meds I got for my OAB/incontinence issues initially helped, but as the side effects began to mount (especially after my medication was changed for another product due to the original being discontinued by the manufacturer and increasing the dosage-per-pill, although reducing the overall daily dose), I decided to opt out and deal with my problems with protection and smart planning.