www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:51 am 
Admin

What was your experience going through the check points and the searches?

Schoppy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 am 

for me it was no big deal. I made a big deal before hand, but just by acting normal nothing was said. The times my bag did get pulled, I just quietly told the agent I have incontinence and my supplies are in there. for the most part it was thank you and I just want to find what caused me to pull this off the line. One example I can think of was I was traveling with a company and my personal laptop. The company has us on the TSA precheck so I thought it would ok to have both of them in my bag before the new rules went in place. Well my bag got pulled and I thought at first it was stolen. My first thought was the company's laptop. I could care last about the rest of it. The TSA agent knew it was my bag by the way I was starting to panic and verified it was my bag. I told her what was inside and she said Ok, do you have an two laptops in the bag. Yes a company and my personal laptop and frankly I care more about the company's laptop than anything else. The amount of paper work I would have to do explaining what happen and possible getting discipline for losing it. She said understand, I lost my ID badge and page after page of paperwork explaining where, what and how was frustrating. She didn't even open the side with my supplies. that was the closest I came to ask if we could take my bag to a private area.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 am 

I've traveled through the airport a handful of times without any problems. On the 25th I'll be going to see my parents. I'm more concerned about my implant than anything else. I have my info card so hopefully I'll be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am 

When I'm having a difficulty walking, airport personnel and my family have insisted that I use a wheelchair. TSA folks have occasionally seen my inventory of disposables, and have subjected me to invasive whole-body pat-downs. Unpleasant, but tolerable. Otherwise, their demeanor makes it clear they see folks carrying bags of disposables every day, so it's no big deal for them. That there are so many incontinents in the traveling public came as a revelation to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:58 pm 

I travel weekly for work, and I always pack two laptops for domestic travel. For international, I also include my tablet and Kindle. I seldom get any hassle for my electronics. I use PreCheck and as long as I use large airports, I'm OK. It's the little regional airports (Nashville, Boise, San Diego...) where they get creative about what PreCheck means. I just budget an extra 20 minutes to get through security in those places and my sanity is assured. My diapers get packed into my carry-on bag, I never check anything. So these get x-rayed as well and nobody ever cares. My home airport has plenty of scanners available so that I don't have to use the magnetometer. This is because of my knee replacement that sets off the metal detectors.

My return flights have different issues. Those pesky little airports can be an issue for a number of reasons- no PreCheck or poor interpretation of PreCheck, no scanner, fear of technology (why do you have so many computers son?), poor cell coverage inside the terminal (Can't load my boarding pass). Then I get extra hassle because I pack home all the extra toiletries from my hotel room so that they can go to our local shelter. This is often queried. When on international flights if I connect back through Canada, security will only allow 2 days worth of these items. Amsterdam, Keflavík, Narita, Incheon, CDG and Heathrow are all easy- just unpack all laptops, tables, kindles, and phones. Amsterdam is the only place I have ever been asked about my massive toiletry collection when returning. The explanation always brings a smile.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 pm 

Recently flew domestically and had no issues with my products. I had enough supplies for a week in a checked bag, separate from my clothes, and put enough diapers in a carry-on bag to get me through a couple days in case my luggage got lost. The only issue I had was when I forgot to take the keys and change out of my pocket and tried to go through the scanner! Other than that, no issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 am 

I have traveled internationally a fair bit and have had no real problems at airports. I try to have a dry diaper when I pass through security. I have more embarassing items in my carry-on pack than most of us as, in addition to extra diapers, I have my enema bag that is essential for controlling my fecal incontinence. :oops: I can't afford to lose that with lost luggage when abroad. Never had a problem.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:14 am 

I just got through security at DCA. The TSA agent was very professional. There wasnt even a mention of my diapers. He thoroughly went through my bag and did a complete pat down. And I mean complete. Hahahaha. I was in a wheelchair and was able to stand for a few minutes on my crutches so he could do it. But it went well with no issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:35 pm 

I travel monthly for work. I try to change into a dry diaper before security clearance to minimize the possibility of getting a pat-down. I also have tsa pre check which allows me to bypass most of the crowds so I don't need to stand for 30 min and risk having an accident. Despite all these measures, I have gone through security with varying degrees of wet diapers from mild to soaked. Sometimes I am patted down, sometimes I am not. Sometimes I am checked when my diaper is damp, sometimes its when I am soaked. There is no way to predict it. At this point, it doesn't bother me. The TSA agents are professionals. They only care about passenger safety. Yes, I have told them that I am wearing a diaper because of incontinence. They never inquire more into the matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:54 am 

Well I'm on my way home. TSA was no biggie once again. Since I cant go through the machines its certain I will get a thorough pat down. The agent was training and there was another guy observing. I'm sure he felt my diaper but didnt say anything. I had changed right before so I'm sure that helped. Anyway time to board.