www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:37 pm 

Hello,

Just putting this out there for you all.. for those who are more experienced than me and have tried multiple brands over the years. For bladder incontinence, what diaper is the best at actually keeping urine from the skin? Right now im wearing Confidry due to the resurgence of multiple wettings in a 24 hour period.. which may or may not be wasteful. The thing is, even with Confidry, I find myself changing at most after 3 wettings or 4 hours. I realize I may in fact be wasting the potential of the product, but I know that for me i don't want to push extended wear unless I have to. On real world incontinence, they did several tests, and found that the Confidry was not dry to the touch after being filled to capacity. I think thats rather unfair testing because most if not all diapers have a much harder time keeping urine from skin once they've become saturated, because at that point the urine is pretty much free flowing and barley taken in by the core. Sure it hols, but it doesnt take much to squeeze out hte urine its holding on to. This is why i ordered a sample of peek ABU, to see if they can do better at confidry with skin dryness. Dont get me wrong, COnfiddry doesnt do badky, tis just that ive noticed while sitting, any wetting absorbed still tends to leave some residual uncfortable facor.. perhaps becuase when one is sitting, some of the urine gets on the skin before it has a chance to be absorbed? Which would seem to necessitate frequent use of barrier creams.. To be honest, I havent use them a lot lately. My rashes have not been a problem.

So, thoughts? Those of you who are wheelchair dependent, how do you ensure skin dryness with diapers? Since im working from home and sitting around more often, this is a pressing concern.

PS.. I start my nuro treatments today!!

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:14 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
Hello,

Just putting this out there for you all.. for those who are more experienced than me and have tried multiple brands over the years. For bladder incontinence, what diaper is the best at actually keeping urine from the skin?

I don't have many years of experience yet, but have tried many brands, and so far, the one that seems to keep my skin the most dry has to be NorthShore Supremes. While they don't absorb quite as quickly as ConfiDry or BetterDry, they seem to wick moisture away from the skin and keep it there. The "Drys" seem to me to absorb more quickly, especially when sitting, but I usually feel "wetter" with them than the Supremes. The Supremes also seem to hold up better and not clump up over a few hours time. So if I know I'm going to be sitting for long periods (driving, in meetings, etc) I will wear a ConfiDry or BetterDry, but for general wear with a lot of movement, etc, I will wear Supremes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:00 am 

Rob,

Rash creams are not only for rashes but as a preventative, creating a barrier between your skin and the wetness of the diaper. You do not need to use a formal "rash cream." A lotion or light organic oil such as coconut oil serves very well for this purpose.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Rob,

Rash creams are not only for rashes but as a preventative, creating a barrier between your skin and the wetness of the diaper. You do not need to use a formal "rash cream." A lotion or light organic oil such as coconut oil serves very well for this purpose.

--John

very true. I have always had a couple trouble spots. solution was to get the no rinse cleaning foam and I throw a couple pumps on the wipe on every change along with
some barrier cream on those noted trouble areas. another vote for the northshore supremes on keeping skin dry ..I do know that if I wait too long between changes I will
still get minor breakdown even on protected areas. so avoid that as much as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:02 am 

I apply coconut oil during daytime and Desitin at night. I pay attention to my hygiene, "air out" when I can, and I never have a rash. For prevention, any barrier is better than no barrier.

--John