www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Self cathing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:10 pm 

My appointment to be taught how to self cath is on the 18th. As a reminder I am a transgender man with female anatomy, so I'll be using female catheters. He showed me some options and I've done some research online. Does it hurt? When he did my urodynamics test it kinda hurt and it hurt to pee after. He says he thinks he can get me out if diapers by self cathing. I plan on wearing pull ups in between cathing just in case. I now have a Medicare advantage plan that provides pull ups and the doctor said Medicare will pay for the catheters. If I have to cath every 4-5 hours I'm gonna need a lot of them. Do people have problems with infections? That and pain are my biggest worries. That and the fact I have to shove something in me a few times a day. Any experiences, problems you've had or advice you can give on self cathing would be great.

Post subject: Re: Self cathing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:41 pm 

As a registered nurse I have inserted catheters in both male and female patients. I never had anyone complain of pain, however some people told me that it was uncomfortable. With male to female surgery the prostate is normally left in place. If it is enlarged you might have some discomfort when passing the catheter.

If you want to do some research on how to cath yourself go to You Tube. You should be able to find videos on both male and female. One thing you will notice is that the procedure in a hospital is always sterile. A self cath is usually only clean. You should use good hygiene and stay as clean/sterile as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:00 am 

Thanks RetiredRN. I'm female to male so no prostate here.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:44 pm 

I'm going to be shown a few catheters on the 18th. I've been doing some research on different ones and I think I want to try something like this:

https://www.180medical.com/product-deta ... e-catheter

Has anyone with female anatomy used ones like it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 am 
Thanks RetiredRN but not all procedure in a hospital are as sterile as you might think. More UTI's are contracted in a medical environment than at home.

You'll notice in many of these "YouTube" videos the "trained personnel" will put on a pair of gloves and then start to open all the packaging. Only what is inside the packaging is sterile and not the outer packaging of ANY of its contents. They will then continue to use the same pair of gloves throughout the entire procedure which in most cases involves holding the sterile catheter with one of those contaminated gloves. They would prevent more UTI"s if they changed gloves BEFORE touching the catheter.

I've been using Foley catheters at home for three years and have never had a UTI using the "clean" method of insertion.