www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:39 pm 

Periodically I must go on a liquid diet, to cleanse my system of the erythromycin/ranitidine which I usually use. My gastroenterologist wants me to do this every other week; I am lucky to do this 3-4 times each year. In order to manage the constipation which a liquid diet always causes, I take ducosate sodium, a stool softener. The liquid diet I had last week was interesting. Instead of becoming incorporated in the stool, the ducosate sodium was like an oil enema; the blockages were just as big and painful as though I had never taken anything to deal with them; however, my rectum leaked smelly oil for days at a time. And the blockages hurt like a hot poker when they came out, and left me bleeding, which is only now clearing up.

I wonder if this merits a call to my doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:36 am 
Admin

Patrick,
As someone who deals with chronic GI distress, I can sympathize. And I do believe this warrants a call to your gastroenterologist. At least keep them abreast of the situation. Maybe they can offer some suggestions. What you’re experiencing may not be normal. It’s worth a look.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm 

Absolutely. This is a change in your "normal" bowel habits, and it doesn't seem to be for the better. Did you drink less water/other fluids than usual?

W.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 pm 

Wetters, thanks for your concern. No, I maintained hydration. I've had constipation due to dehydration often enough to avoid it when I can.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 am 

Wow, Patrick, that sounds rough! Sorry you are going through that.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 am 

Thanks all for your concern and advice. I'm back on erythromycin/ranitidine. We'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:54 pm 
Admin

Patrick,
I underwent a gastric emptying test recently at Mayo. They gave me the “radioactive” eggs and toast with a small glass of milk. I have trouble swallowing certain textures but I managed to get the food down. Sometimes, I throw up. The test took me four hours but everything turned out ok. My gastroenterologist was pretty worried that I had it. But thankfully, I didn’t. I’ve read some horror stories about gastroparesis. My heart goes out to anyone with that disorder.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 am 

I had my yearly gastroenterologist appointment yesterday. He said that colon blockages are common among GP patients, and that I should use enemas, suppositories, laxatives, and stool softeners daily, and not wait until a blockage has developed. He noted that I already wear diapers to manage urinary incontinence, so using them to manage bowel incontinence also should be no big deal. I guess that I should have expected to have a colon blockage, given that my colon is paralyzed, along with the rest of my GI system, and dealt with it accordingly. Live and learn.

Thanks for your sympathy and support.

JD, I shall need every molecule of your wisdom here. On this regimen, bowel accidents, which are only occasional for me now, promise to become a daily threat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:52 am 
Admin

Patrick,
I too suffer from frequent fecal incontinence. I take Nullo twice a day. It greatly reduces or eliminates the odor from stool. I have had bowel accidents in public before without an internal deodorant and it’s highly mortifying. Nullo can cause constipation so that may not help you. Due to my neuropathy, I suffer from chronic loose stool. One of my doctors classified it as dumping syndrome where the patient has a bowel movement, usually diarrhea, 30 mins or so after eating leading to malnutrition. I take vitamins. I also get very nauseas, have little appetite, and sometimes throw up. As mentioned above, I’ve been tested for gastroparesis, but it was negative. I’m not lactose intolerant either. My fecal incontinence is caused by my neuropathy. It effects my involuntary bodily functions. I wear Abena M-4’s. I keep a backpack full of a pack adult washcloths for cleanup (I use Target brand; they’re about $2.99), A&D cream (stool, especially liquid stool is extremely rough on the skin), and 3-4 diapers in my car. I also keep fleet enemas on hand if I need to clean out my system. Due to issues with the nerves in my pelvic floor, my GI doc advised me not to take fiber or Imodium. That could cause further distress and lead to a colon blockage. That’s not something I want. Also, if you have liquid stool like me, that can be difficult to manage. It can leak out the diaper at any point making an immediate change necessary. I avoid having a bowel movement in a seated position at all costs. The chances for leaks are excessive. I learned all this through trial and error. But with conditions like ours, the learning curve has to be quick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:37 am 

I too take Nullo, 1/2 tablet with each meal. I guess that gastroparesis is a species of autonomic neuropathy; I'm relieved that no other bodily systems seem to be affected, yet. I do not know how I would manage if I had a more widespread autonomic neuropathy. Meanwhile, this is a learning situation for me. Folks who are set in their ways cannot hope to manage bowel incontinence, because every day is different, presents different challenges.