www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Here
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:07 pm 

Yes, West, it's been an extremely stressful couple years for me, and I have definitely considered the impact that stress may have on my condition. Between my job and the family business, working 80 hour weeks for months at a time, the loss of a parent, personnel issues at both jobs, etc. As far as traumatic events in my job (ie: bad calls, etc) I don't think that plays a role, unless, as you said it is completely subconscious. I also think that I've been fairly exhausted, which makes waking up at night difficult. Add to that a history of being a bed wetter til I was 9 or 10, a brother who had to have bladder surgery as a youth, and a sister who wet the bed well past the normal for girls, and I have to believe there is some type of genetic issue going on here that makes me more prone to it.

On a good note, having spent a full 20 percent of my life in diapers, it hasn't been a big deal for me to wear them at night, so managing it has been fairly easy to adapt to. While I wouldn't say it feels "natural," it is certainly not unfamiliar. The only issue has been finding the right combination of products to handle my heavy wetting and keep it contained.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 am 

5bugles,

I would call what you described a very high stress level. That has been shown to affect both daytime incontinence and bedwetting.

It took me a while to find what you call the "right combination" for my nighttime bedwetting. I am a heavy wetter and eventually settled on heavy night-weight prefold cloth diapers (pinned) with added cloth booster pads. After learning that I needed to wear really baggy plastic pants to keep the cloth from forcing against the leg gathers I have had no leaks at all. Previously I had been averaging about one leak every four months. Now I sleep "like a baby." :lol:

--John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:36 am 

Hi JD,

I'm still working on the "right" combination, as well as working on making the transition fully to cloth at night. Currently working on building up my supply of cloth. Most nights I wear a disposable (currently NS Supreme or Better Dry) with a cloth diaper over it as I am a side sleeper. After reading some posts on this forum, I realized I needed larger/baggier plastic pants. After switching to a larger plastic pant, the leaks have been almost non-existent. Since going 24-7 in September, I'm really starting to realize the complexities of finding the right products for various situations, ie: what I wear to the gym is different than what I wear to bed, finding the right balance between discretion and functionality. Having soaked my truck seat on a couple of occasions, I'm much more into functionality at this point...LOL!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:57 pm 

5bugles,

I too am a side sleeper and have worn cloth over a disposable diaper at night (usually a day-weight prefold). An advantage is that, if the disposable diaper does not leak, there is no need to launder the cloth diaper. This was very helpful to me when I was in an apartment with an inadequate washer-dryer system. I often would go three or four nights before the disposable diaper leaked. I think the extra pressure from the cloth diaper helped to keep the disposable snug against my body and that helped reduce leaks.

You are quite correct about the complexities of finding the right products for various situations. As you have seen from the postings here from others who have been incontinent longer than I have, that process never ends. There always is room for some more "fine-tuning."

You obviously are willing to experiment. That is an important trait for those who cope successfully with their incontinence. :D

--John