www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 pm 

I don't know if many here use an additional cotton pad with their protection but I've found an item that works great as a pad at a very affordable price. It's a Walmart Main Stays brand "Flour Sack Towel" which can be found in the area where the kitchen towels are found. The towels are 28" x 29", they are thin but super soft and absorbent and can (obviously) be folded into any configuration that suits your needs. In addition all of the edges are seamed so I've had no problems with them unraveling and at $5 for five towels you can't beat the price. I like to fold one into a pad about 5" wide and put it between my regular diaper and my diaper cover when I'm out and about for a little extra security. I'm sure there are many other ways it could be utilized but I'll leave that up to our members here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 am 

Many thanks. I need to replace several of my pads, so this will be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 pm 

I've recently found an another great use for the "Flour Sack Towels" mentioned above. This could be of interest to some of our members, especially those that, like me, have infrequent or unpredictable night wetting and/or have to take out of town trips.
I first fold the towel in half, and then in thirds, and place the resulting pad inside my nighttime pull-up diaper. Over that I'll add my PUL pants for added security, especially if I'm away from home at a friends place or at a hotel. I've found that the pad will absorb 95% (or often 100%) of a wetting with little to none getting to my pull-up. This combo works great because not only has it completely eliminated leaks, even for a side sleeper like me, but it also allows me to use the toilet normally when I do wake up having to urinate. An added bonus is that the towels are inexpensive ($1 ea.) so if need be they can simply be rolled up, put in a plastic bag and tossed in the trash.
I suppose this would also work for those with regular night wetting but of course they would need to be laundered. Since they are quite a bit smaller than a regular cloth diaper they may not have the capacity needed for heavy or multiple wetters so that could be another consideration. I hope this may help others here and I would like to hear of your experience if you try this idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 pm 

Padded, I took your advice and bought some of these. They're great! I use them for both day and night wettings. They absorb the wetness immediately and distribute it to the pull-up quickly and evenly. In addition, the material is soft and comfortable against my skin, and it draws wetness away from my body, so no sensation of wetness and the potential for a rash is minimal. I'm a cheapster, so I wash and reuse them. Kudos.

W.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 pm 

Thanks for the Props Wetters! I'm really surprised that more icon folks haven't discovered just how well these work. In addition they are so inexpensive that they can be used on trips as disposables or just rinsed in a sink and hung to dry. I have to admit that back in 2017 when I first discovered them at Walmart they were a good bit softer but as with all things when they "improved" them around mid 2018 it wasn't for the better and they became a bit stiffer. Nonetheless they still work well and I use them every night inside my night diaper.