www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Urge Incontinence
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 pm 

Welcome, fiacs. I also have chronic nonbacterial prostatitis. I'm 39, and, according to my urologist, have probably had CNBP since I was a teenager. The experiences of pain and urgency that you describe are very familiar to me. At the moment, I manage symptoms with timed voiding and pull-ups, though I have experimented with briefs in the past. My urgency threshold seems to occur at much lower volumes than yours (often 50 ml or less). I would be interested in hearing about feedback you have received from urologists. Do they "get" your experiences and support you in your plan to manage your symptoms?

Noe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:56 pm 

I too have urge incontinence and have found that cloth diapers work for me. I have made cloth pocket type diapers and now I only wear disposables if I am traveling. I have also been able to make vinyl pants to wear with my cloth diapers. By making my own vinyl pants I save a lot of money as each one cost me about $4.40.

As for washing cloth diapers I have a "solar dryer" and that saves me even more money. (Solar dryer=> two poles and a rope.)

I am retired and on a fixed income so saving is important to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:48 pm 

I also suffer from urge IC. I am still figuring out how to best manage some days I need to go every 30 minutes somedays I don't have to go for hours at a time it just depends. I have started wearing protection after a few leaks and a few large accidents

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:59 am 

OAB and chronic prostatitis here too. For security from accidents while at work, many of us start out using more absorbency than we probably need. Then we gradually reduce the absorbency to what we really need, based on experience. However, that minimum absorbency probably should be based on your greatest amount of leakage before you have the opportunity to change your diaper. It also depends on how much you are willing to risk an accident while in the workplace or in a social situation.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:03 pm 

To answer Noe: The two urologists I have seen understand the medical aspect of the condition. I assume that since they do not suffer from the condition, they can't appreciate the life challenges of the condition. After failing antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and even alternative therapies, the only option left is timed voiding which is a hassle.
For me, I can live a fuller life wearing diapers and changing on my schedule instead of living around my bladder's schedule

If I were to switch to cloth diapers, what are people's opinions of all in one diapers or pocket diapers. They seem like the closest thing to a disposable in the cloth category.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 pm 

fiacs wrote:
To answer Noe: The two urologists I have seen understand the medical aspect of the condition. I assume that since they do not suffer from the condition, they can't appreciate the life challenges of the condition. After failing antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and even alternative therapies, the only option left is timed voiding which is a hassle.
For me, I can live a fuller life wearing diapers and changing on my schedule instead of living around my bladder's schedule

If I were to switch to cloth diapers, what are people's opinions of all in one diapers or pocket diapers. They seem like the closest thing to a disposable in the cloth category.

Early on I tried timed voiding and kegels. The plan the doctor gave me was to try over time to increase the time between voids.

It all sounds good on paper, but what am I supposed to do when I pee in the bathroom at work right before leaving the office for the day and then still wet my pants on the train 30 mins later? Timed and controlled voiding might work great if you never leave your house. What am I supposed to do if I have a bunch of meetings all day at work? Kind of hard to excuse myself from a meeting full of senior management 5 times during the day's meetings.

Doctors don't seem to understand that we still need a resolution while waiting for the other treatments to work (supposing we're lucking enough to be one of the cases where treatment might actually work). Even if I'm making great progress (and I never did, despite sincere and desperate effort) with timed voids and bladder retraining, I'd still have bad accidents. That's not acceptable. To a doctor they'd say "wow great you're down from having 5 accidents a day to 5 a week, what a success!".....ok but pissing my pants 5 times a week still necessitates that I wear diapers. So why bother with all that work if I need diapers anyway?

I tried to explain to my doctor that I felt like I needed the diapers because I was too afraid of having accidents and he suggesting I'm not giving the treatments time to work. For me, diapers are just better. I'd rather not be incontinent but I am and I'm ok with my need for diapers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 pm 

fiacs wrote:

I just ordered a Rearz bulky night time diaper. I'm curious to give cloth a try. I also ordered these Pul pants which are actually a pull on all in one diaper. I'm going to use them as a diaper cover with some built in extra protection....I'm curious to see how this works at night.

I don't see cloth working for me during the day...too big of an inititial investment, too much to carry around and too much laundry. But if these Rearz cloth diapers work for me, I may buy a couple more to have on hand for special situations (really really long car rides or something.)

I got plain white as the whole abdl thing doesn't interest me.

Diaper:
http://rearz.ca/bulky-fitted-nighttime-cloth-diaper/

Pul Pants (all in one pull on diaper really):
http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/PRODUCT ... ers_2.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:11 pm 

I also have urge incontinence, but I also met a guy that had stress incontinence and I gave it some thought one day when I was sitting behind my screen with a glass of whisky. I realized that having urge incontinence is a better thing after all, because it doesn't put such a mental pressure on you and I have struggled mentally a bit in my past. Not that I'm crazy or something, but I always very vulnerable to stress etc and I developed some bad habits, so if I had to also deal with incontinence that is heavily stress-dependent I could have really gone crazy, but with urge incontinence that is permanent I don't worry about it, I just accepted that this is how it is and this how I'm forced to live my life - with a bit more struggle than average guy, but with much less than a lot of people out there in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 am 

West wrote:
I also have urge incontinence, but I also met a guy that had stress incontinence and I gave it some thought one day when I was sitting behind my screen with a glass of whisky. I realized that having urge incontinence is a better thing after all, because it doesn't put such a mental pressure on you and I have struggled mentally a bit in my past. Not that I'm crazy or something, but I always very vulnerable to stress etc and I developed some bad habits, so if I had to also deal with incontinence that is heavily stress-dependent I could have really gone crazy, but with urge incontinence that is permanent I don't worry about it, I just accepted that this is how it is and this how I'm forced to live my life - with a bit more struggle than average guy, but with much less than a lot of people out there in the world.

not sure what you mean...."Stress" Incontinence doesn't have anything to do with mental stress. It's the "stress" put on the bladder by pressure in the body from things like laughing and coughing or sneezing.