www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:06 pm 

Being new to the whole wearing and changing diapers, can the constant changing and cleaning make one tired?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:39 am 

For me, there's tired and there's tired. When I must wash and change for the sixth time in twenty-four hours, or when I must clean up a bowel accident, I am more exasperated than merely tired. When a long day's work has left me tired, washing and changing can become an unwelcome chore. For me, cleanliness is a survival necessity. I do get tired of that chore; however, if I skimp on soap and water, especially in this sumer heat, I'll get a rash.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:27 am 

I am certain no one will argue the importance of marinating health skin for anyone that is incon. When I first become incon I was only bladder incon at the time and must have changed 20 times a day. Every time I got a little wet I would go change. This was more than I could handle changing all the time plus not wanting to go any place for fear I would need to change. I was overwhelmed from my incon and I know it. At the same time I was struggling with depression, and acceptance of my new handicap. I did some groups sessions for a while and that helped with my depression and little by little I came to accept being incon and not being a slave to the needs of my incon. I tried different products for absorbency and quickly found a product that had no bulk and was suitable for my absorbency needs. I became very confident in the product I was using and started changing less frequently and found I had not skin rashes. I learned over time that when I shower in the morning and apply skin care cream I can go hours before changing in the "right" product. I also learned that wearing a diaper cover over the disposable would guard against any small leaks that might occur thus build my confidence that I could now go most the day before changing without having any leaks, or causing skin irritation. I also found the more active I was going places and doing things the better I felt about myself. I felt like I had gained control of managing my incon, and the incon was no longer managing me. Having conquered these issues was very important in what came next when I gradually started being bowel incon as well. Do to the nature of my back injury, I was only bladder incon in the beginning, but over time, little by little I had also become bowel incont. I think I would have been why overwhelmed if I had been bladder, and bowel incon from the start. Just being bladder incon was more than enough to prepare me for bowel incontinence. As I reflect back upon those times now, I can best describe it like having one foot in the water, and putting the other foot in latter not like I jumped in with both feet at the same time. I take meds to control odor so even when I am out in public and have a BM filling the diaper while standing next to someone (I'm mobile) there is no odor. I found taking 2 showers per day, (one in the morning, and one before bed) and using a special skin cream/barrier works best for me. During the day I usually change once, or twice, making the total changes in a day just 3, or 4 on "most" days.

There will always be some extra chores involved for anyone that is incon by either yourself, or a caregiver. Everyone is different, I have found what works best for me, and finding the right combination of product, frequency of changes, and acceptance is cornerstone to proper management of being incon,....at least in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:01 pm 

johnstone wrote:
I am certain no one will argue the importance of marinating health skin for anyone that is incon. When I first become incon I was only bladder incon at the time and must have changed 20 times a day. Every time I got a little wet I would go change. This was more than I could handle changing all the time plus not wanting to go any place for fear I would need to change. I was overwhelmed from my incon and I know it. At the same time I was struggling with depression, and acceptance of my new handicap. I did some groups sessions for a while and that helped with my depression and little by little I came to accept being incon and not being a slave to the needs of my incon. I tried different products for absorbency and quickly found a product that had no bulk and was suitable for my absorbency needs. I became very confident in the product I was using and started changing less frequently and found I had not skin rashes. I learned over time that when I shower in the morning and apply skin care cream I can go hours before changing in the "right" product. I also learned that wearing a diaper cover over the disposable would guard against any small leaks that might occur thus build my confidence that I could now go most the day before changing without having any leaks, or causing skin irritation. I also found the more active I was going places and doing things the better I felt about myself. I felt like I had gained control of managing my incon, and the incon was no longer managing me. Having conquered these issues was very important in what came next when I gradually started being bowel incon as well. Do to the nature of my back injury, I was only bladder incon in the beginning, but over time, little by little I had also become bowel incont. I think I would have been why overwhelmed if I had been bladder, and bowel incon from the start. Just being bladder incon was more than enough to prepare me for bowel incontinence. As I reflect back upon those times now, I can best describe it like having one foot in the water, and putting the other foot in latter not like I jumped in with both feet at the same time. I take meds to control odor so even when I am out in public and have a BM filling the diaper while standing next to someone (I'm mobile) there is no odor. I found taking 2 showers per day, (one in the morning, and one before bed) and using a special skin cream/barrier works best for me. During the day I usually change once, or twice, making the total changes in a day just 3, or 4 on "most" days.

There will always be some extra chores involved for anyone that is incon by either yourself, or a caregiver. Everyone is different, I have found what works best for me, and finding the right combination of product, frequency of changes, and acceptance is cornerstone to proper management of being incon,....at least in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Hi johnstone

Many thanks for you posting your advice is so welcome. At the time of writing this post I was like you every wetting I would change and this was quite draining and as you say I was overwhelmed by the whole process. I moved to diaper protection that was more absorbent and have reduced changes to abut 4 a day now and feel less drained. That being said I will give the cover (I assume that you mean waterproof pants/briefs) another go to aid my confidence when out so I can learn to properly trust that I will not have the fear of any leaks.

Many thanks again for you assistance/help and for taking the time and effort to impart your wisdom/experiences to a newbie.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:50 am 

Becoming incon takes some getting use to if all of a sudden become incon like over night. I think after you accept it for what it is and not the worse thing that could happen in your life (your still alive to write about) and move forward with life with the understand that there are several different products available and there will be more than one that fits your needs you just have find the product that works best for you. I wear plastic pants over a disposable for additional protection against any small leaks that might occur. I don't get them often but having the FULL confidence of the product I use plus the added protection of plastic pants over the diaper and still not having noticeable bulk, or odor makes all the difference in the world. I won't lie, some of MY acceptance was not changing "frequently" to the point that is was overwhelming. I had to wrap my mind around being wet for a while before I changed. In the beginning, every time I got a little wet I changed,....I must have changed 20+ times a day until I learned that I need to manage the problem, and NOT let the problem manage me. As long as you are satisfied with the results and maintain "good" healthy skin don't sweat the small stuff, but be confident about the products that you use and go anyway, at anytime, and enjoy.

Last edited by johnstone on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:08 pm 
Admin

Johnstone,

I liked your response and comments.
Thanks for helping the new people on this forum :D

I wish they made a LIKE button for this type of a forum, but they still dont have one made yet.
But im still looking into it. :D

Schoppy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 pm 

schoppy wrote:
Johnstone,

I liked your response and comments.
Thanks for helping the new people on this forum :D

I wish they made a LIKE button for this type of a forum, but they still dont have one made yet.

Schoppy

It is great to know that I am amongst great people here. I can hope and dream that one day I will be like the rest of you.

Thank you for again for taking the time to provide the comprehensive advice and support you have given. Just to give you an update following your advice about learning to live with being wet for longer periods. I have started to do this and mentally it is so difficult at the moment, however I can now see the benefits over the last few days I have changed less and consumed less diapers. My manbag is a lot lighter as a result.

Anyway thanks for you advice :mrgreen:

Greenbank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:31 pm 

schoppy wrote:
Johnstone,

Schoppy

They have for SMF, which I really could make you a great site with.... :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:06 pm 

Hi John-
Although i only have some intermittent urinary incontinence I empathize with your needs.
I change normally in the morning as I get ready to leave for work, and in the afternoon
then again in the late evening. Sometimes I just don't want to change. It can feel like a bit of a hassle
But the comfort and security of clean nappy and no diaper rash means gotta do it.
Fortunately I am able to go short spouts every now and then without a nappy- particularly if I am in
my bathroom.

To make the whole process more enjoyable and less of a drag, I like to put on a movie or even some music
unless I am way too exhausted.