www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:44 pm 
Could anyone give me a hint as to how to combine the use of terry diapers and anti rash cream? I started using cloth diapers instead of disposable some time ago overnight but soon experienced problems with my PVC pants that don't last more than a few weeks at most. I tried to limit the use of ointment to a minimum but still had the same problem with stiffening and eventually cracking pants in the crotch area. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:20 am 

Dear Guest,
You've come across an age old problem. The mineral oil in the ointment attacks the plastic. I don't know of any real diaper rash ointment that does not have the zinc oxide/mineral oil in it and still works. I had the same problem earlier when I switched to cloth diapers and plastic pants several years ago. What I use now is Baby Magic Lotion. It does have some mineral oil in it but not enough to attack my plastic pants. Be sure to rinse off your plastic pants each morning when you change. My plastic pants will usually last for a year or more before they wear out. Some plastic pants are more prone to harden and crack than others. The baby magic lotion may not work for yoy, but it does work for me. I do use Desiten during the day while I wear disposables. That may help heal any problems that might want to creap up from the previous night diaper. You may have to experiment with different products! Good Luck!!

Post subject: Polyurethane pants
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:04 am 

What you need is to get a few pairs of polyurethane pants. They don't react to the oils and creams like vinyl pants do.

Post subject: urethane pants
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:48 am 

Tom is right! I about forgot about my one pair of urethane pants. I bought a pair of these 5 years ago and there're still with me. You can use all of the diaper rash ointment you want to, and they'll never turn hard. They're not my favorite pair, though. They are soft but are a little loud in the rustle factor, and they won't slid over your sheets like other plastic pants do. BUT, they are practically indestructable. I know LL Medical has them, along with Angelfluff. Good Luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:29 pm 
Thank you all for your kind help. I should now be able to deal with that problem. I hated the idea of having to go back to using disposables at night.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:17 am 

Paul Martin wrote:
Tom is right! I about forgot about my one pair of urethane pants. I bought a pair of these 5 years ago and there're still with me. You can use all of the diaper rash ointment you want to, and they'll never turn hard. They're not my favorite pair, though. They are soft but are a little loud in the rustle factor, and they won't slid over your sheets like other plastic pants do. BUT, they are practically indestructable. I know LL Medical has them, along with Angelfluff. Good Luck!!

I have two pairs of polyurethane pants, and yes, they are indestructable, but very noisy....Actually not that comfortable, either, much prefer my Suprima plaggy pants, and they really last, despite creams and powders.