www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:20 pm 

Tried powder, lotion, etc. I've found A & D or other similar ointments, although greasy are the best, both for preventing and treating rashes. Powder will be washed away quickly, and lotions do not provide enough of a protective barrier, they serve more to condition skin, than protect against wettness. Using an ointment which additionallycontains zinc oxide is probably the best treatment. Although with cloth diapers(which I don't currently use), the type of waterproof pants will place some restrictions on the choice you make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:34 am 

Yes I use A-D myself and find it works good on treating rashes :) But when it comes to preventing. I swear by J&J medicated corn starch powder at every change. I always apply a liberal amount amount front to back to the diaper before putting it on :D ............................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 am 

Chris,
I only use desitin during the day as I wear a disposable diaper. Since I wear a cloth diaper at night, I switch to using only baby lotion and baby powder. I can get by with this since my skin is not too sensitive to a diaper rash. My plastic pants won't last long at all using desitin at night. Though the baby lotion will eventually break down the plastic, but the pants last a lot longerusing only baby lotion. ...Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:48 pm 

I know this is an old posting but thought I would add something I have learned over the summer.
I had been using Equate Diaper Rash cream or ointment when I knew it was going to be long time between changes and they worked really good for me except for one thing. I started wearing Secure XPlus diapers and now have been wearing the Providers Choice Active Plus diapers since they normally can hold up for a complete shift at work. Well, when I would get home to change I was finding out that the diapers were separating and the inside material was getting all over down there. It took me some time and really paying attention to what I was doing or not doing to figure out why this was happening. What I think happened is that when I used any type of cream, lotion, or any diaper rash ointment, it caused the diaper lining to stick to my skin and with all the movement I do during the day, it would tear away from the backing because it was stuck to my skin. This never happened when I didn’t use diaper rash treatments.

Now when I wear any cloth backed type diapers, I have to use something like AD Ointment especially around my legs otherwise I get real bad diaper marks that burn. Don’t know why this is but it only happens with the cloth outer covering style diapers.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:59 am 

@ K.T. - This is why I use no powder, and no ointment, lotion, etc. It makes me too sticky, and I don't care for that feeling. I think that many creams or ointments affect the adhesive which is used to hold the layers together, and keep the absorbent lining where it should be.

Just my 2 cents, which probably ain't worth a penny in today's economy.

-

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:37 am 

I found Bepanthen to be very reliable and helpful. I used it on both of my children, it worked better than anything the doctor prescribed. The ointment(grease) works better than the cream. The ointment creates a better barrier.