www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:24 am 

Hello. I was wondering whether anyone else has ever experienced skin irritation in response to the waterproof/outer part of disposables?

The reason I ask is that I noticed an irritated red rash, not actually on any of the area where the wet diaper was, but on the inside of my thighs. I've noticed this a couple of times, both on waking up in the morning, and it seems to go away during the day. I'm really puzzled because I'd have thought that a rash would occur where I was wet, not outside the diaper. I was wondering if it's possible to get skin irritation in response to the material the diaper is made out of? If so would it go off or do I need to change brand? I have not experienced this problem in the daytime, but wondered if that might be because lying down, one's upper legs are more in contact with the diaper material than if one is standing or sitting.

Admittedly this has happened on occasions where I have wet more heavily than usual :roll: but even so there didn't seem to have been any noticeable leakage, so it doesn't seem the wetness is the cause. I've had leaks during the daytime before but not experienced this problem.

Thank you for any advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:53 am 

Bernadette,
I, too, have had the same type rash you speak of that comes and goes. I think sometimes my inner thigh will sweat occasionaly that will lead to a rash.
I always apply some baby powder to my inner thigh as I put on my diaper at night. I do wear cloth diapers and plastic pants each night. I don't really see any type plastic pants that I use that causes the rash.
During the day time, I wear a nylon pant that helps a lot with any rashes. That type plastic pant holds up extremely well. Hope I helped a little bit! .............Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:24 pm 

Thank you Paul! That's helpful - for some reason it hadn't occurred to me that it could have been because of sweating. I will try your advice regarding the powder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:26 pm 

Sometimes I get a bit of chaffing or redness and irritation along the inner parts of my thighs. I'm with Paul... it comes from sweating and my inner thighs rubbing against the diaper too much. It happens especially if I am active on my feet a lot, walking long distances, etc.

I have found that some diapers are worse for it than others... so I try to avoid the types that will cause more irritation.