www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shaving ??????
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:01 am 

Does it really make a differece if you shave the private area? I have read shaving the private area helps reduce rashes, and helps to control odor. I've done this on and off over the years, but I never felt like it made a difference. Maybe its me me, but if shaving that area really does make a difference maybe I should give it some more thought.

Post subject: T shave or not to shave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:55 am 

I have shaved in the past and it did help. I stopped after I found that keeping the hair trimmed short did just about as well with out the stubbles. I still keep it short and seems to work well. No rashes. .....Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 am 

I've been having rashes lately for unknown reasons. They haven't been real bad, and within a day or two the skin irration clears up after I use a paste. I've been trying to figure out why all of a sudden I'm having this problem. Guess I will try shaving down there and see if that helps.

Post subject: Shaving
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:25 pm 

Hi Johnstone--

I use a beard/mustache trimmer to keep the hair quite short; seems to help with odor reduction and skin health, and is pretty easy to do as often as needed.

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:59 pm 

I just bought a Norelco Bodygroom shaver. Is it best to keep it short, or remove all the hair? Rash prevention is my priority here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:06 pm 

John, you have provided me with such valuable advice, id thought i would return the favor..

Before i was incontinent (or acknowleged it).. I shaved my pubic hair because my hair got itchy and it got trapped in my underwear. So, its been habit for a few years now to keep it shaven. I use a manual razor and shaving cream and shave in the bathtub Not sure if its better than just trimming it.. but for me.. shaving is comfortable.. word of caution though, it takes time for your skin to get used to it...first few times you may itch... but you would itch a lot more if u used an electric razor.

Pubic hair does get in the way when it comes to incontinent cleaning.. hope this helps!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject: Shaving
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:19 pm 

Hi again---

I go for very short, but not "shaved", as shaving leaves the possibility of itching when starting to grow back in. For our purposes, short is sufficient, it seems.

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:42 pm 

I typically shave my diaper area about once a week in the shower. I use a bit of moisturizing soap and a disposable razor... never had any problems. It definately does help with rashes and odor.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:38 pm 

I've found that with the diaper area free of hair comes two benefits. First, changes are much quicker since the hair does not have to be cleaned, and secondly, skin protectants are much easier to apply. Who wants to put lotion or ointment on hair. To me, hair removal represents a much more effective and sanitary approach to preserving healthy skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:03 am 

I quite agree and have been shaving for years. it is supposed to help with odours too but I am not that sure. The fact is there is no dripping wet hair to deal with along with everything else.

I haven;'t encountered any skin problem associated with the incontinence so i must be lucky - I suppose it is keeping things clean that does is and drinking lots.