www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:47 pm 

I wear disposables now and have had better luck with them. I get rash less often. However, it's still a problem. To kill an existing rash I have used hydrogen peroxide. I simply wipe the rash with a paper towel soaked with peroxide for a few minutes. I'll refresh the towel once or twice, the peroxide loses it's effectiveness rapidly.
I'm trying a new procedure where I wipe everywhere with rubbing alcahol, then peroxide, and then slather on some baby lotion. I have done this once a day, or so, for the last 10 days. I am hoping it kills the bacteria before they have a chance to take hold. So far, so good.
Try it. Let us know if it works for you. I'll keep you updated on my experiences as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:44 pm 

Hi Paul
Just a thought you may want to look at your diet. Often times if you drink Coffee eat fast food/junk food drink sodas as well can all help in producing rashes.

............Just a thought :idea: :?: .............Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:12 am 

I just responded to a post in another area of this site on this topic, but I thought I would also make a few comments here too. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but I have to think anyone who is incontinent will get some type of diaper rash sooner or latter. I had more skin problems when I wore cloth diapers as compared to disposables. Additionally, I noticed my skin was really dry sometimes when I wore the cloth diapers and plastic pants. I think this was caused by lack of air circulation because of the plastic pants. Anyway, I have fewer skin problems with disposables and I cannot say enough about changing when needed. I think the amount of time a person can wait before changing a wet diaper depends on the general skin condition. Staying in a wet and soiled diaper too long is a sure way of causing dipaer rash FAST. :(

I found "preventative maintenance" is really important is preventing any type of skin problems regardles of what type of diaper is used (cloth vs. disposable). Every night after I shower before bed, I apply A&D cream. The only other time I use this cream is at the first sign of a skin problem. Most the time just using the A&D cream at night works fine for me. Preventative maintenance goes a long way in preventing diaper rash no matter what eat and drink. :D

Post subject: diaper rash
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:45 am 

Johnstone,

You are so right on preventive maintenance on a diaper rash.
Some people just have more sensative skin than others and will have continuing problem.
I, personally, don't have much of a problem, but I am very carefull on cleaning up a every diaper change. Once a rash starts, you're in for a bit of discomfort. ......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:14 am 

Paul Martin it's good to know your still out there! :D ...........Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:55 pm 

I thank God I haven't had to deal with diaper rash as of yet. As it's been said, good cleaning goes a long way. I have experimented with several things to help my skin, baby oil, powder, oil gel, lotions, diaper cream, and one that has worked for me, under arm deodorant. I have used the clear and gel types. After watching commercials at how well it works to keep wetness inside, then it must keep wetness from the outside too. When I use it, I don't have to worry about any cologne, :-) .

Post subject: Under arm deodarant?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:06 am 

Hey K. T.
I've never heard of using under arm deodarant for preventing a diaper rash. Do you just roll or slide it on? That's something new. Has anybody else out there heard of this?? .........Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:27 am 

Paul,
I don't normally use the roll on kind. I make sure that what I use goes on clear and drys clear. There is a new commercial out right now for, I think Degree Professional, where they have two beakers covered with I think cheese cloth filled with water upside down. On the left is normal deodorant and on the right they used the new stuff. In the commercial, the right side doesn't allow any water to leak. If it keeps sweet in your body, it should do just the opposite too, it acts as a moisture barrier both ways. I don't use it all the time though. When my urine starts getting a little strong smelling is when I use it. It helps my skin from absorbing the smell since it keeps the wetness out. I know it's not really made for this but as you know, we all try to find something that works for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:53 am 

Paul,
I don't normally use the roll on kind. I make sure that what I use goes on clear and drys clear. There is a new commercial out right now for, I think Degree Professional, where they have two beakers covered with I think cheese cloth filled with water upside down. On the left is normal deodorant and on the right they used the new stuff. In the commercial, the right side doesn't allow any water to leak. If it keeps sweet in your body, it should do just the opposite too, it acts as a moisture barrier both ways. I don't use it all the time though. When my urine starts getting a little strong smelling is when I use it. It helps my skin from absorbing the smell since it keeps the wetness out. I know it's not really made for this but as you know, we all try to find something that works for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:18 am 

You do know that roll-on deoderant is specifically marked "for underarms only"... it may work for now... but got knows what it is doing to your skin.