www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rash Creams Inafective
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:19 pm 

I was wondering if it was just me? I find that every few months I need to change up what I use for diaper rashes or prevention of them. I find myself if I don't use a barrier with every change I get rashes so most of the time I just use Vaseline but if a rash comes on this past time I used desitin for months then it seemed like it just didn't work well. it seems like every few month I have to change up what I am using and wondering if it is just me. I do have a unique situation I am an incomplete para with no sensation mid chest down and use my wheelchair most often when out but had an issue where the VA cut my pain meds and been bed bound more often and been sick on and off so the frequent of loose stools is higher but between a TBI and no feeling I often don't change right away or when I should. So end up with a really bad rash few times a month the only good part is I have been pressure sore free for 6 months. thank you for any advice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:17 pm 

I regretted reading that your pain medications have been reduced. The best rash management policy for me is frequent and vigorous washing with soap and water. I shave every 84 hours, and air out at least once each day. If you are largely bedbound, do you have assistance? Changing from Desitin to other brands from time to time seems logical. I do something similar with my GI medications. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:07 am 
Admin

Only ever had 2 rashes to deal with, I use a variety of creams, from Desitin, to the Equate brand, along with Petro jelly, Penaten and Sudocream, seems to keep things in check, but I am also not 24/7 or it would be more often I am sure. Puffy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:03 am 

Jarhead,

Have you used a rash cream with zinc oxide? I have used Vaseline as it is so convenient and affordable, but had to discontinue it when I had too much pre-rash irritation. Vaseline is o.k. as a light barrier for those who are not prone to rashes, but would seem not to be a good choice in your case.

As I am double incontinent and wear diapers 24/7, I found 40% zinc oxide rash cream to provide the most effective barrier. I don't wait for a rash to start and always use some form of barrier. A lighter barrier is fine for most people for urinary incontinence, but for bowel incontinence a thick barrier works better. The Equate Diaper Rash Relief from Walmart has 40% zinc oxide and is available at a good priceI

Like Patrick, I air out daily and wash frequently - usually twice a day in addition to my daily shower. However, if you have irritated skin, do not wash "vigorously."

Good luck!

--John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:59 am 

If you have constant or reoccurring rashes, and normal rash creams do nit help, then you do not have a rash. You have a bacteria or yeast infection. Try using an over the counter treatment like lotramin, or even monistat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:06 pm 

Brian,

I had considered a yeast infection, but, as Jarhead's rash went away with ordinary rash creams, rather than getting worse and becoming infected, that suggested that it was not a yeast infection. Thoughts?

--John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:22 pm 

Yeast infections are know for going into a remission of sorts, but unless completely eradicated they will just keep coming back.

Years ago I had exactly this- for almost two years! Sometimes it would almost completely disappear, other times it would flare up, swell, and even ooze sorry if TMI) to the point of being extremely painful. Diaper creams would sometimes seem to help a little, but never by much.

Eventually I brought it up to my doctor and he prescribed a prescription strength anti fungal cream. That cleared me up in about two days. He also mentioned the lotramin for feet itch works best to get rid of it if the rash ever comes back.

God I wish I knew that the first day I got it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:52 am 

I also sustained a tbi and sometimes just don't feel pain. Is this what you are referring to?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:26 pm 

Hi All

I wash regularly natural Dove shower wash and air out when I do have a rare rash I swear by Sudocream would not be without it works every time for me not that I have many.

I was lucky to find the Primer post early on when wearing diapers such fab advice on Hygine I follow it to the letter keeps me out of trouble.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/chap6.php

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:13 am 

Hos does a yeast infection show? Itching in the crotch area?

I can't tell if I have a rash or a yeast infection, what I do know is when I get this intense feeling of my crotch area itching and start scratching even with the diaper on I get a big relief, almost to the point of intense pleasure afterwards I feel sore down there and it kind of burns when I wet.

I'm using rash creams and powder on a daylight basis and with every diaper change, but still, it hasn't gone away, have had it for more than a month now, and it is driving me crazy....