www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:59 pm 

ive been getting away with not using it but i feel like im welcoming trouble. ive had 1 rash in a year and a half. with the diaper i wear i have to change often so.i feel that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:48 am 

justj, we all have different sensitivities to diaper rash. You seem to be one of the fortunate ones. Changing your diaper frequently definitely helps. Although you only have had one rash, have you had any pre-rash irritation or redness of skin, particularly on the scrotum?

Some form of barrier to protect the skin usually is a good idea. You may find that all you need is a thin or light barrier. Some use ordinary Vaseline. That probably is the least expensive option but petrolatum degrades plastic pants, if they come in contact. Coconut oil is another good thin layer and also is compatible with cloth diapers (which is why I tried it). The next step up the ladder would be a commercial rash cream - not a thick paste. The Desitin rash cream would be a good choice but most of the commercial products do a fairly good job.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:17 pm 

Honestly I don't believe you need to. I myself only ever use a cream or ointment (there is a difference) if I'm developing otherwise have a rash.

If you don't need it, then why use it. What you're saying is like I'm not taking antibiotics all the time so I must be inviting an infection. This is obviously not true, and neither is it for rashes. Don't worry about it, and just use it as you need to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:48 pm 

john,
im female to male transgendered so no scrotum here.
:D

ive noticed a bit of irritation where the legs of my pul pants are but nothing too bad.
i have some cream on hand if i do eventually get anther rash but i think ill be ok.

thanks for the insight!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:13 pm 

You have to find out what works best for you to prevent rashes. I found information very scattered. I needed a regiment. My PCP said I should use powder during the summer heat as I wear plastic pants over my diapers year round (I'm diapered 24/7). My Urologist said no powder, and prescribed a barrier cream. My Dermatologist gave me the best and most thorough answer. She said lotion up, powder down, and seal with a barrier cream. Be sure to hit all areas where the diaper touches the skin. She said I should change my diaper more often (4-6 times a day as needed) and when changing clean with wipes every time and repeat the whole process. A rash has yet to surface. Hopefully helps with your question.

PaddedFanny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:33 pm 

Paddedfanny,

I'm double incontinent, wear a plastic-backed diaper, and plastic pants (PUL) whenever I am out of the home. AsI change at long intervals, I almost always use a zinc oxide barrier - ordinary Desitin diaper rash cream. As long as I use the barrier, I have no rashes or pre-rash irritation. :D Cleaning at every change also can be significant at avoiding rashes but may not be necessary for those who do not have delicate skin. I do this more often during the warm months.

IMHO, powder is good only until you wet your diaper, after which it is no longer effective. However, for those who change after every wetting powder works fine. Many use the pleasant odor of powder to mask minor urine odor.

A lotion is not needed as a barrier if you are applying a thicker barrier cream, which is more effective for the purpose. However, if you already have skin irritation, a good lotion can be soothing to the skin

Like you, I have received different and sometimes conflicting advice from my physicians about skin care, so I fully agree with your advice about the need to experiment to find out what works best.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:48 pm 

use it if you need it, don't if you don't.

Hydrolatum is awesome, super thick cream. It's actually an eczema cream but is a thick barrier cream too. We use it on the baby and I started using it too.

I don't always use it, but will use it whenever I feel like I'm getting some irritation. I've so far only had one legit bad diaper rash and for that I just stole the baby's desitin and that shit works wonders. Barrier cream is more of a preventative. Just helps prevent urine from eating away at your skin and keeping the skin nice an moisturized.