www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:01 am 

some time ago the inside of my right groin became sore, with this i tried to treat the soreness with otc creams. after a week i found it painful to sit and had a look to which i found that the soreness had spread to my left inside groin and tops of my thighs.

i tried in-vain to treat the sore and redness but after another look i noticed blistering and some horrible pus, i then made an appointment with my doctor to which i was issued with hydrocortisone and i also required an oral anti-biotic.

for anyone who tries to treat any kind of diaper area rash and it doesn't go away then don't end up like me and try to continue to self treat get some help.

in all i spent weeks getting rid of the infection,

mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 pm 
Admin

Diaper rash is caused by various forms of yeast. So what you actually have is a yeast infection. If over the counter diaper rash creams don't do the trick, you'll have to see your doctor and get a prescription antibiotic. I talk to my doctor freely about my incontinence and this includes the occasional diaper rash. My doc gives me 2 creams for diaper rash and puts them on hold till I need them at my local CVS pharmacy. The creams I use are Ketoconazole and Triamcinalone. They clear up most yeast infections. If that doesn't work, then its a different kind of yeast. In that case, they will commonly use Nystatin (sp?). These creams kill yeast infections.

The kind of infection I get also occurs between my legs on my inner thigh. It turns red, chafes, and has a funky odor. It is generally caused by the diaper rubbing on my legs as I walk. The skin gets irritated and infected. Only a prescription cream will do in that case.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:24 pm 
Admin

Thankfully, I have avoided any really bad rashes in my years of all this, and they got looked after with regular rash creams you can buy over the counter, and if bad enough I use Penaten on it, clears up fairly quickly for me. They showed up as just small red bumps and a few had white-ish heads, but never stuck around too long, thankfully. I always, regardless of if I wear a dispoasble or cloth, use a silicone barrier cream, and a thin layer of rash cream, seems to stop anything from developing, but I am not in a diaper all day long either, so "the zone" has a chance to breath and dry out. In the last 15 years, it certainly has not gotten any better, but right now seems to be somewhat at a stable point where my daytime has not gotten any worse, and nights are about the same, so I can hopefully avoid any serious rashes as you described, does not sound like any fun at all, makes me much more sympathetic towards infants! :( Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:34 pm 

Sounds like a nasty rash. I've been lucky in that I seldom get a diaper rash. When I wear disposable diapers for longer than a day or two I seem to break out in a rash on my "tender" skin areas. Almost never get this when I wear cloth. When I do develope a rash I usually am able to get rid of it in a couple days with the help of A&D.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:00 am 

hi and thanks for the replies.

i tried everything i could think of to get rid of the diaper rash but it seemed to fail and gradually got worse, it was a case of something which had got out of control.

when i saw my doctor he gasped and told me that there were 2 problems, one is the yeast infection which has been mentioned and there was a skin infection on top, i was given a cream and anti-biotic.

been cautious of anti-biotic i settled to using the cream which bit by bit got rid of the infection. if it had not cleared i would of used the anti-biotic.

the last time this flared up some weeks later i ended up in hospital with dreaded bacterial prostate.

in future i will act with caution if i get another bout.

mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:15 am 
Admin

I use Lantiseptic. I get it in the same area as A&D Ointment, in the baby dept.
It works great and really helps prevent diaper rash.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:51 am 

The problem I have is a reoccurring problem that I'm still trying to scope out. When I wear only a disposable, I'm good. Works for daytime and I'm happy. My problems show up when i wear a pull up cloth diaper over my disposable at night. I sleep on my side and will leak out the side if I don't wear something. I've tried about everything to solve that problem and I still haven't got it solved, but what I get is a temporary rash in the morning where the diaper contacts my leg in the groin area. I can't figure out if it is a reaction to the material, or the plastic pants or the detergent left over in the cloth diaper. It clears up by itself once I change my diaper and remove the plastic pants and the cloth pull up for daytime use. I've double washed the cloth pull up, I've changed different types of plastic pants. Some things make it worse. It only seems to develop after the diaper has gotten wet, it doesn't seem to appear in the evening when I get ready for bed. It looks red and bumpy, but clears up in a few hours after changing. I've tried zinc oitment, prescription diaper rash cream, but the only thing that seems to help is a dry diaper and a few hours. It itches like crazy. I suspect it is an allergy reaction to something, but what I don't know. Anyone have a similar problem?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 pm 

Sometimes when I get problems, it is the ammonia that causes it.
The urine is more concentrated at night, and it is in contact with the skin longer.
You can try to make it more acid, by taking a good dose of vitamine c before bedtime.
This has helped me many times.
At least it is quite harmless to try.
It is not fun to have pain down there...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:12 pm 

Thanks Optimist for the reply. I've considered it being an allergic reaction to my urine too, but it doesn't show up during the day and I spend many hours with a wet diaper with no problem. I don't think I notice it if I only wear a disposable at night, but it has been awhile since I've done that because they are almost guaranteed to leak. It is very annoying. I've had it get so bad that I can't put a new diaper on. I just put regular underwear on and pray for continence. If you look back at my history, I suffer from bouts of incontinence that are totally unpredictable. I can be continent for days, weeks and in the past months, but suddenly, I wake up wet or I have a daytime accident and I need to go for protection Right now, I'm suffering. If I had any smarts, I'd just decide to stay in a diaper and not worry about it, but I enjoy my continence when I can have it, as I'm sure many of you can appreciate. I wear black pants at all times so if I make a puddle, I can slip away without much notice. Last night was a mild case of rash, but last weekend, I had a severe rash that lasted for a few hours and then mostly went away. I know what yeast infections are like and this feels like that but it disappears without treatment. Crazy, I know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:21 pm 

As I have been earching for other solutions, I have come over this.
Many baby cloth diapers have a layer of fleece next to the skin to
keep the surface dry. I just thought this would be worth trying.
After all, if it helps, it is a cheap solution.