www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ointments or lotions?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:38 pm 
Admin

I was wondering what kind of ointments or lotions yall have been using to not only prevent the rashes but to also help cure it when it does happen?

I myself think the Boudreaux's Butt Paste is the best for the job.
When ever I get a rash, the Butt Paste cures it the fastest.

Post subject: Prevent and cure
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:55 am 

Hi Schoppy,
I think there are two approaches, the first being prevention to the maximum extent possible. And that would be to keep the skin dry LOL! Well, for some of us with urge incon, it may NOT be that difficult to keep the skin dry and well worth the effort of more changes when you miss that trip to the toilet.

But for me and many others with no sigals and no control, wet diapers and wet skin is pretty much a constant. I use a lotion as long as there is no rash, as a prevention. Any decent skin lotion for moisturizing should work well. I use a Pfizzer product (Lubriderm Skin Therapy) which keeps me out of trouble.

When I do get a rash, and that's rare, thank Goodness, then good old Desitin works with 40% zinc oxide, which is the major player in fighting the rash itself. Check other baby and incon ointments, but I don't think you'll find any with even as much zinc oxide as Desitin. These diaper rash ointments are sticky, gooey, and they destroy plastic pants! As Paul Martin observes! Cloth diaper wearers can resort to disposables when using a rash ointment or resort to using only old plastic pants while using the rash ointment. And I must mention the case for polyurethane plastic pants; they are imperious to oils. Many of the fabric style waterproof pants which are coated to make them waterproof, use polyurethane for the coating. And pants made from polyurethane plastic film are available, just not common. Personally I don't find them as comfortable to wear as vinyl.

There are some specialty ointments out there at outrageous prices. Not that they aren't worth it IF they work, but do start with Desitin as the least expensive and most widely available before resorting to others.

Schoppy and others with fecal incon have more problems with skin than most who suffer only urinary incon. Fecal matter is so much harsher on the skin that more exotic rash creams may well be needed and better suited to the extreme demands of fecal incon.

My 5 cents worth, this time!
JoeK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:04 pm 

I just use petroleum jelly. Urine can't penetrate it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 pm 
Admin

I have complete bladder and bowel incontinence. As such, whenever I get a rash, I have a standing prescription at the VA hospital for 2 creams. All diaper rashes are forms of yeast. So essentially, what you have is a yeast infection. Thats what causes the redness and chaffing. When I get one, and its rare because I change immediately, I use Triamcinalone cream and Ketoconazole. They are available by prescription from your doc and they clear it right up. Kills all the yeast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:36 pm 

During the summer I put baby oil on myself after a shower and I use powder. This has prevented most rashes for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm 

I use A&D ointment whenever the first signs of a rash show up. It hasn't failed me yet. I seldom get rashes except for when I wear disposable diapers for an extended number of days. My wife and I were out of town this past weekend and I was in disposables for a few days. Sunday night my rear end was breaking out with an itchy rash. A good cleaning, A&D ointment, cornstarch powder, a cloth diaper and the rash was gone Monday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 pm 

You know me I swear by J&J medicated Corn Starch powder. Another crazy one you might try if the rash is a fungal type. Which most are i think :?: Try using a can of anti fungal foot spray. Jane has done this in the past and it has worked for her :wink: .............Sandy :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:16 pm 

One time my child had a rash that would not go away. Somebody told me to put corn starch in the diaper and then it went away. When ever I start to get a rash I rub corn starch into my diaper before putting it on. However this does not always work for me, guess it is because I wear plastic shell. Have yet to find a real cure or prevention.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:31 am 

Try using J&J medicated Corn Starch baby powder. I swear by the stuff :mrgreen:
........................Sandy :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:57 am 

I recall someone posting here or perhaps on another forum an interesting tip; use dandruff shampoo when you shower! Many use dandruff shampoo for their scalp and hair, so just expand its use to the diapered region. It contains pyrithione zinc which is the active ingredient. Zinc, again, like the zinc oxide in diaper rash creams. I've been using the least expensive genenric dandruff shampoo for years now and find it to be a great preventative measure.