www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The best way...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:35 am 
The best way to get rid of diaper rash is to use the same cream you use for athletes foot or jock itch. Diaper rash is a skin fungus. I haven't tried the spray, but the cream works great. A severe case of diaper rash can be cured in about five days using 1% tolnaftate cream after each diaper change. Powders can be used in addition for comfort, but are not necessary.

I use the Equate brand, which works fine. A 1/2 ounce tube costs about $2.50 at Walmart. Spread it thin, a little goes a long way. I have also found a larger size 4oz bottle of 1% tolnaftate online at:
http://www.americarx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16446

The cream in the bottle is thinner but spreads much easier and costs $5.19.

The tolnaftate cream is also excellent for getting rid of bed sores if you're bed ridden, like I am at the moment.

Good hygiene includes changing bed sheets and pillow cases daily, changing diapers as needed. Even if you don't wet the diaper, change it after a few hours because the body's sweat causes dampness that leads to diaper rash and bed sores.

While I was at the hospital I developed diaper rash and bed sores, and they gave me an ineffective lotion to wipe over my body. The lotions may have anti-fungal properties, but they also keep the skin moist, which is what you want to avoid where there is no air circulation. The lotion I was given actually perpetuated the bed sores and diaper rash. I had to ask the nurse for tolnaftate cream by name, and she ordered it for me through the hospital's pharmacy. But be forwarned, the hospital charged me $20 for a 1/2oz tube. Bring your own tolnaftate cream to the hospital when you go in, or have a family member pick it up for you at the local Walmart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:34 am 

Although there is some very good information in the previous post, I think some of the statements made are a bit over the top. I don't think ordinary diaper rash requires such extreme measures. I did once get a form of rash that was a fungal infection and did require the use of an anti-fungal "jock itch" cream. But it went away after about a week's treatment with an over-the-counter cream, and has never returned, after 3 years. For ordinary diaper rash, I just use "Equate Diaper Relief" (Walmart) brand cream, and have very good results. It's a good waterproof zinc oxide type cream, and also very cheap.

I see no need to change sheets -- and pillow case -- daily, unless there is some other far more serious problem going on with your skin. Of course that would depend also on how much diaper leakage you experience. I use Molicare Super Plus (no, I don't have any connection with them), and rarely have a leak at night.

I also see no need to change a dry diaper after 4 hours. Maybe if that is the case, a better quality diaper is needed. I generally stay in a single diaper (again, Molicare Super Plus, with a booster) for 12 hours, from my morning shower until I change after work. It may be their greater absorbant capacity, or their anti-bacterial treatment, but I only begin to have diaper rash if I stay in one longer than that.

Of course, not being bedridden, as was the previous poster, is probably responsible for a lot of our differences. I am fortunate to be able to move around freely during the day, and that probably helps a great deal. I wonder if he would benefit from cloth diapers with ventilated plastic pants, to help increase air circulation.

Post subject: Diaper change frequency
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:24 am 

I have to agree with Richardtoo, to dispell the notion that everyone should be changing diapers every few hours no matter what.

At the same time, we want to emphasize that everyone is different and everyone has varying circumstances and skin sensitivity.

I have no argument with anyone changing frequently; but that should be stated as a personal preference rather than indicated as a "must do" thing. I can wear a disposable for 6 to 8 hours on a routine basis. When wearing cloth I routinely wear the same diaper for 12 hours, but I won't recommend that to anyone! I can get away with it with my skin and my drinking routine (yes, I do not drink as much as we should!) but I cannot in good faith recommend that to anyone.

I am NOT in that group that runs nursing homes and faces the change a diaper every two hours no matter what rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:03 am 
I don't usually get diaper rash as I only wear nighttime and for outings mostly, but I do get jock itch every now and then. Normal antifungal cream (using clotrimaderm right now) does the trick. I guess every case is different.

Post subject: diaper rash
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:01 pm 

I was stuck in heavy traffic with a messy diaper that turned into the worst diaper rash I ever had. Had to go to the doctor, along with the ointment he prescribed, he said keeping the pubic hairs trimmed short or shaved would help in preventing future diaper rashes. I still have a minor diaper rashes at times but they seem to clear up faster with shaved hair. Maybe better airflow?

Post subject: Diaper Rash
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:29 pm 

I agree with Jeff about keeping the pubic hairs short. I would get rashes as I have tender skin until I started to trim the hairs short. It helps with hygene. It helps to use a protection agent such as petroleum jelly, baby oil, or some such agent. There are probably better products but I can get what I need at a dollar store and save some good money. Length of time in a wet diaper is an important consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:47 pm 

My situation typically involves several hospitalizations for surgeries each year. Afterwards, the recovery times have lasted as long as two weeks, during which I spend quite a lot of time in bed, and need assistance for incontinence management. Because I leak continually, frequent diaper changes, at least every hour, are necessary to prevent rash when I'm bedfast. When I'm up and able to care for myself, the chore is much easier, and I can delay changing until the diaper is properly soaked, which saves on laundry. Carl