www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Diaper Rash
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:44 pm 

Well, I just got my first diaper rash since I was forced backwards in time into diapers full time. Do I get a cookie or merit badge or something? Ugh, sorry for this maudlin sounding post but its just been one of those days. This sucks..... :| :(

Marcus Aurelius

Post subject: Re: First Diaper Rash
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:05 pm 

While it won't help you right now, I would highly recommend you get a prescription for "triple diaper cream". This stuff works wonders better than anything you can get over the counter.

Until then, you know the routine. Clean the area with soap and water to get rid of anything. Let the skin air out fully (laying down under a fan speeds this up greatly) Apply any "cream" you prefer and gently rub it in so it will fully absorb into the skin. Next apply any "ointment" you prefer to act as a barrier from it getting worse. (Edited, add powder if you prefer too). Diaper up as needed, and change often enough so the diaper does not become saturated. Rinse and repeat (literally) at least once more in the day- more often if you can.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:37 pm 

Congratulations, Porkchop! You truly have joined the ranks of the incontinent. :D

Seriously, sorry about the rash. Trust me, I feel your pain.:( Brian is right about using the fan. It will accelerate the benefits from "airing out." If you can air out several times a day, that is even better. Sit on an absorbent pad or just your open diaper, just in case.

My two bits: This is counterintuitive, but you can skip the soap as it further drys out already irritated skin in the rash area and can make it worse. Just use warm water. You only need soap if you have had a bowel accident. If you have a hand-held shower, you can skip the washcloth as well for a couple of days until the rash begins to clear.

--John

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:12 pm 

So sorry about the rash the shower head trick is great I always have sudocrem on hand. I also use a non scented moisturising shower cream and adds extra to the skin. Airing out is a must I find time as previously mentioned.

I hope things clear up soon.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:03 am 

Airing out has helped a lot, and the extra washings with warm water. I had my dad swap out shower heads for one with a wand, so I can take your suggestions..... Ugh, I guess its time to add powder to the mix, but I always seem to get it on my diaper tapes.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:54 am 

Porkchop,
Its that time of the year, it starting to warm up. Take special care of your skin or it will come right back. John is right on point on the information. Hope you get it cleared up soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:20 am 

Porkchop,

You mentioned powder, but not a rash cream. While you have an active rash it is very important to protect the skin from further damage. A rash cream will provide that barrier and usually has some antibacterial agents such as zinc oxide. I would recommend a rash cream at this stage, then, as the rash clears you can change back to powder, if necessary.

You should see significant improvement in 48 hours.

--John

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:47 am 

I was told by my doctor to use the barrier cream. yes I use it, I have been about to keep rashes to a minimum by using them. If I get one, its my own fault for not taking care of my skin. John you are a wealth of knowledge !

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:35 am 

John/MLHJr,

Thanks, I added the barrier cream stuff I bought at Wal-Mart and hopefully it'll clear up soon. Airing out has already helped a lot! :)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:10 pm 

Don't forget there is a HUGE difference between barrier ointments (such as desitin original with zinc or even just petroleum jelly) and healing creams (such as desitin creamy, or the aforementioned triple diaper cream). You should actually be using both types if you want to really speed up healing a rash.

First to heal the rash, use a cream that will fully absorb into your skin. Second to protect the skin, use an ointment that does not absorb and instead creates a barrier will make sure your rash won't get any worse.

And fyi, my suggestion for the soap actually is for drying out the rash (the dryer you can get a rash, the faster it will heal), and also for removing any previously remaining barrier ointment so the healing cream will be absorbed back in again. If you don't use soap, then it won't come off very much or easily. However, if you're not using a barrier ointment then yeah you can get away with not using the soap too.