www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some tips to help.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:47 pm 

There is some great tips in the threads here. I wanted to put them all in one are as well as put what i have learned taking care of my husband. The air out idea is a great one. Usually after his bath we do that i sit him on a chux incase of an accident. Also a good old fashion soak in the tub helps vs a shower.

Also frequent changes changes or using a better product that keeps the skin dryer and using a good barrier cream. Some folks are more sensitive to urine and fecal matter. So you may have to try different creams to find what works best. Also some rashes are fungal based so an anti fungal is needed then.

A diaper that i have found that helps is the prevail extended wear. They have skin caring ingredients in them. This summer he had very little rashing.
Diane.

Post subject: Re: Some tips to help.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:07 pm 

How do you handle changes while out and about?

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:11 pm 

Porkchop,

Diaper changes outside are a bit of a pain. I have to keep a diaper bag handy (for me it varies either a backpack or gym bag depending where I am going)
I also keep bag of baby wipes handy.(Adult wipes are also good- but generally seem a lot more pricey than they are worth) Also it is very good to use like Aloe Vesta's "no rinse" cleanser. I just spray and wipe the area.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:22 pm 

KDLSTAR,

That hard part for me is making it work in the tiny stalls. I usually try to find a one person only facility and set my stuff on the baby changing station so I can maneuver while I get it done. Still, it is a real pain!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:24 pm 

We use the family rest rooms. Or announce couple coming through and use the handy capped stall.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:43 pm 

CareGiverDiane wrote:
We use the family rest rooms. Or announce couple coming through and use the handy capped stall.

I think the local mall and the Sams Club are the only places I have ever seen a family restroom. Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough!!! :)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:38 am 

Changing in a public restroom can be a hassle. And sadly a lot of public restroom are disgusting
Make sure you have a backpack with a hook strap so you can easily hang it
Keep some gloves, wipes, and cleansing sprays in the bag. Also have at least a small roll of tape and a grocery bag to dispose of the used diaper. Also keep a stick of deodorant on you. Use walls if you can. And try not to worry too much about other people. I still get bit nervous sometimes whenever I use the facilities To change or do my business

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:11 pm 

Guys,

Here is a tip that may help you out in public restrooms.

At most home stores, like Home Depot, you can get a small plastic hook intended to fit over the top of a door to provide a hook. It works great on the dividers of most public bathrooms. The hook enables you to keep your backpack off of the usually disgusting floor. :D

Othewise, carry a small square of thin plastic to put on the floor.

Kidlstar, you and I seem to think alike on these matters!

--John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:52 pm 

The plastic square is a brilliant idea!!! Thanks JD!!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:23 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
... get a small plastic hook intended to fit over the top of a door to provide a hook ...

JD: That's a great idea! Sure could've used it in my backpack this summer! Thanks for the tip!