www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:44 am 

Hey all,
In dealing with diaper rash, we all wish we could find the perfect solution that causes us to not face it again. I can safely say that it has been several months since I had a rash so bad that it felt like down there was on fire. I think this is due to 3 things... One, adequate fluid intake which neutralizes urine acididty. Two.. I air out a lot more often now as a matter of routine between changes.. I often sit around with my bottom half exposed when get of work at Walmart. This seems to have gone a long way to keeping things comfortable down there. 3.. I wear more absorbent diapers like abena, confidry and A+ more often. Also, when i doe wear my medicaid attends I operate on a change when wet basis. I think the times I dealt with rash, it was before I started regularly wearing the extended wear diapers to work. So, even though i may not fill Abena X-Plus to capacity, I think it really does help having that extra absorbency to keep things down below more comfortable. I'm actually thinking of just ordering a case of abena every month.. the cost of a case of X-Plus is low enough where it wouldnt be too steep I think.. I average about two or 3 X-Pluses a day when i do use them.. and there are 42 in a case... I definently think premium brands are more comfortable to sleep in than my attends.. which si what you would expect. I just took a peek down there to check on things, and there is some redness on the testicles.. is that their normal color? Or should I be more diligent about applying rash cream? I haven't been, because I just havent had rash to the point of it burning like it used to..

Anyway, I just thought id put this out there.. because im still amazed at how I havent had the bad rashes in a long time knock on wood..and I think the above things attribute to it. When dealing with incontinence, and diaper rash, knowledge is power, and hopefully now you all feel a little bit more empowered. :D

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:14 pm 

My family living situation makes airing out impossible. My policy for rash management is to shave carefully twice each week, wash with soap and water at as many diaper changes as possible, use Desitin and cornstarch powder at as many changes as possible, and try to change as often as necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:14 pm 

Rob, on guys the sensitive skin of the penis and testicles is subject to rash. It is a nuisance, but, if you are using a barrier cream the genitals should be coated as well as your bottom.

Totally airing everything out is the most effective method. Another (if you normally use plastic-backed diapers, as I do) is to make one diaper per day a breathable diaper. I usually do this when I will be at home. It seems to work for me.

If you still tend to have irritation, another good thing to do is to wash (just with a washcloth) and change the barrier cream about halfway into your 24-hour day, i.e. about 12 hours after your shower.

--John