www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:13 pm 
Admin

DDS,
When I shave down there, I use a real sharp razor. I only reuse razors to shave that area a few times in a row before I switch to a new one. The razor has to be fresh. I use a women's Venus razor to shave that area and I never get razor burn. I also make sure I use sensitive skin shaving cream.

I used to swim, run, and bike as well. I used to shave my whole body except my head. I was in the Marine Corps and sported a high and tight. But I shaved my body quite often and used Venus razors for that. I swear by them. I have grown to hate body hair. I'm not that hairy of a guy anyway.

Post subject: Re: Using powder
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:30 am 

As I'm becoming more reliant on diapers to handle my incontinence, I have been advised to start using some barrier cream and powder to help mitigate rash and such, but also to help reduce smell.

I have been reading from others that powder e.g. babypowder both helps mitigate rash and does help you smell better.
However reading in here I see J&J powder being highly recommended, but sadly it's not available in Europe - are there any alternatives in Europe which still doesn't cost a fortune (more local brands, yet similar in substance and scent)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:04 am 

I use A&D ointment to protect my skin, I have had good luck with it. But there are limits to anything you use.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:50 pm 

jms,

A commercial rash cream will be more effective than powder. Powder has no effect once it is wet and so is best for those who change their diaper after each wetting. I like Desitin cream with zinc oxide. It is easy to apply and remove and, for me, effective.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:05 pm 

Talcum powder has problems. Prolonged exposure causes ovarian cancer in women, and perhaps cancers in men as well. A good friend of my wife is going through that now, all because she used talcum powder daily all her life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:27 am 

WetDad wrote:
Talcum powder has problems. Prolonged exposure causes ovarian cancer in women, and perhaps cancers in men as well. A good friend of my wife is going through that now, all because she used talcum powder daily all her life.

I'm aware of the issues with powder containing talc. I read someone recommended powder made of cornstarch, should be good.

I have a good rash cream from Seni - they make larger tubes, and they are pretty cheap too. However powder is harder to obtain if it shall be of good quality, yet still affordable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:48 am 

Honestly, I did some research into the talc cancer link. It's pretty tenuous. There is a weak correlation at best, but in a recent case Johnson and Johnson list a suit against the family of a woman that died of ovarian cancer. Now there are class action suits popping up left and right.

I suspect this is pretty significantly overblown, but it's worth noting that if anyone would get too much long term exposure, it would be the incontinent. There really isn't a risk to men, as our anatomy makes it much more difficult for talc to gain entry.

As a side note, cornstarch can increase the risk of yeast infection, because the yeast can feed on it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:28 pm 

Caldesene makes a cornstarch powder that contains zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is the component in some products such as desitin cream which prevents bacterial growth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:04 pm 

Potato flour also works for chafing, that's what we used as kids (and I still use on hot days when going to the bush) when hiking or picking berries or dragging firewood from the forest during the hot summer days.

Haven't used it with a diaper as I am not much of a wetter but wear more as a backup on bad days, but probably works well. It comes in a very fine, powdery form, very similar to powdered sugar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:27 am 

I have been a die hard Ammens Poweder user for years now. It is Medicated power and will clear up that bed wetting itch I get from time to time when I am wet for more than a few hours during a heavy sleep.. It is a bit pricey but it is not something I use every night. I also keep rash cream around and the new destin Incontinece care is great but the standard is just as good but be sure to have a rag to wipe your hand before taping up or wear glove as it makes tapes not stick at all.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!