www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First rash... Advice?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:01 pm 

Last night I discovered my first rash. Because of nerve damage I have no feeling in my entire nappy area, so (luckily?) can't feel it. Because of the lack of feeling, I've been checking in the mirror once or twice a day. The rash is right on my bum cheeks. Since starting to wear nappies, I've been using baby powder at every change, and a zinc oxide cream I already owned for eczema morning and night. I checked last night and it only contains 7% zinc oxide. After doing some research on here, I ordered some Desitin and some A&D as I'm not sure which my skin will prefer.

There seems to be so much confusion in general online as to whether you should or shouldn't use cream/lotion/powder/baby oil etc, so my question is this.... which is peoples preferences for using during a rash, and for preventing one? Should I use one product in one area and something else in a different area?

Cheryl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:35 pm 

Cherylac, I sympathize as I also have some nerve damage and some areas without sensation. With this group, rash prevention is a little like religion, so be prepared for a range of recommendations. I would note that 7% Zinc Oxide is a bit low for use as a barrier, and, as you are using a cream not intended for diaper rash prevention, it probably contains no ingredients to neutralize urine.

Below is a section from my white paper "An Introduction to Adult Diapers: Their Selection and Wear" [which is in the articles on this site]:

To prevent urine or fecal matter from being in direct contact with your skin, it is necessary to use a barrier cream. A barrier cream is essential to protect the skin from the uric acid in the urine or digestive acids left in fecal matter . Also, a barrier cream, even if only Vaseline, makes cleanup easier after a bowel accident. Barriers commonly used include Vaseline and adult diaper rash cream such as Balmex, and Desitin. The primary ingredient in diaper rash creams is zinc oxide. The percent of zinc oxide varies from around 11% to a maximum of 40%. The lower percentages should be fine for bladder incontinence. For those who are need protection for longer periods or who are bowel incontinent, the 40% zinc oxide creams provide a more effective and longer-lasting barrier against digestive acids in feces. A thick barrier can last through multiple changes, unless you have a bowel accident. Lotions also may be used. Lotions are better than nothing but provide less protection and for less time between changes or bowel accident. I also have used generous quantities of plain old Vaseline, or its generics, because it is so inexpensive.

Liberally coat your bottom and cheeks with barrier cream, and also up the crack of your rear. A male also should coat the particularly sensitive skin of the scrotum and the lower portion of the penis – any part of the body that will come in contact with the wet or soiled part of the diaper. Unfortunately, 40% zinc oxide will leave you looking as if someone had whitewashed your genitals and backside

I routinely use a cream with zinc oxide such Balmex, Desitin, or Equate Diaper Rash relief. I prefer the Equate Diaper Rash Relief with 40% zinc oxide. If any early irritation does not quickly clear up, despite the use of a zinc oxide cream, I change to a stronger, more medicated cream. For serious rashes, Triple Paste is highly effective (although costly). I do not wait for this irritation to become a full-blown rash. If that is not effective, see your doctor immediately. My dermatologist approved the use and sequence of Vaseline, zinc oxide cream, and Triple Paste, but I found that using a 40% zinc oxide barrier effectively prevents any rashes, even when wearing premium diapers for long periods (up to 8 hours).

Powder, usually ordinary baby powder, often is used in lieu of, or in areas not covered by, a barrier cream or lotion. It both keeps you dry and reduces odor. I sometimes use baby powder with a breathable diaper for rash prevention when I am at home during periods in which I am unlikely to experience a bowel accident.

For cleanup at home, it is presumed that you shower or bathe once a day. For other diaper changes it still is important to wash. You can use a hand-held shower to rinse just your bottom, if you have the time. More frequently, it may be convenient to wash with a soft washcloth and warm water. The hand-held shower is particularly helpful when cleaning up after a messy diaper. Try not using soap as it may be too drying and cause more skin irritation. If you use soap, choose a mild one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:12 am 

Thank you for this wonderful information, it's exactly what I was looking for!

Cheryl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:44 pm 

Calmoseptine ointment! A VA nurse told me it was the best cream available for skin protection and health. I have only had 3 rashes since 2009. I can't recommend it high enough.

http://amzn.com/B000NAZKCA

I keep a good supply on hand at all times.

Doug