www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:40 pm 

Hello to all,

I am bowel incontinent and wear diapers 24/7. As a rash preventative I have used Vaseline as a barrier cream on my bottom and the crack in my buttocks but only baby power in front and in my diaper. This has worked pretty well. When irritation occurs (rarely), I first use Balmex and then upgrade to Triple Paste.

Due to recent complications from an old spinal cord injury I now am experiencing urinary incontinence. This is totally new to me. I am seeing my orthopedic surgeon for diagnostic tests and do not yet know whether the condition is temporary or permanent. As I already was wearing diapers and handling my fecal incontinence pretty well, this was not as much of a shock as it otherwise would have been.

I am wearing wet and soaking most of a good quality diaper. As the urine is in contact with much more of my anatomy than the feces from my fecal incontinence, what should I use now as a barrier? Should I just use Vaseline everywhere or a lotion on my frontal area? If so, what do you recommend.

Recently I began shaving my pubic area to aid in cleanup from messy diapers, so at least I do not have a problem there.

Thanks in advance,
--JD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:19 pm 

I use Sudocreme it works well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:44 am 

There is a great cream a friend of mine recommended to me when I have bowel issues is at Walmart/Sam's Club. It is the Equate Diaper Rash Cream. It has cod fish oil and talc power mixed in. It spreads easy and is a little greasy feelign at first. That feeling goes away pretty quickly.

Use gloves with this cream. If it gets on the tapes or tape area they will not stick. Put on gloves, smear it on, pull off gloves, Pull the diaper snug and tape in place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:33 am 

Fantastic guys! That is really helpful.

Thanks!

--JD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:27 am 

To continue an old discussion, I changed over to the Equate Diaper Rash Relief cream that SeattleDoug recommended and the results have been impressive.

The Equate cream contains 40% zinc oxide which has been much more effective for me as a barrier against all of the irritants in feces and urine. Even better, the Equate cream costs less than the competition!

I now normally use the Equate cream except for one diaper per day when I am at home and then I wear a breathable diaper and use baby powder in order to let things air out. The combination has been very effective for me in preventing irritation and diaper rash.

--John