www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:28 am 

Hi guys I am new to the forum, I am 26 yrs old and have cerebral palsy which affects my walking I still have bowel and bladder accidents and bought diapers I have not been wearing them because I got a rash. can I still wear my diapers?even though my rash is healing if i use diaper rash cream? I look forward to hearing from you guys Thanks. reel free to pm me as well

Post subject: Re: hi
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:58 am 

Welcome. Rash is a problem for me as well. I manage it by shaving, keeping myself clean, and frequent changes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:59 pm 

As long as ya keep your self clean and use a good cream i dont see why not.
but airing out is still the best for rashes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 pm 

Hey jessee, Thanks for your help, I am wondering how do i air out my rash? and does powder help with my rash at all or? I look forward to hearing from you Thanks. also would desitin be good for the rash cream? I look forward to hearing from you Thanks. Gabe.

jesse james wrote:
As long as ya keep your self clean and use a good cream i dont see why not.
but airing out is still the best for rashes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:46 am 

Hi Gabe and welcome.

I'm double incontinent (both bladder and bowel) and wear diapers 24/7.

Re "airing out," if you have some bladder control you might consider going "commando" for 15 minutes to an hour each day. If not, try sitting on an absorbent pad. Another option is to sit on an open diaper while you air out and then just tape up the diaper.

Powder will help but only until you have peed in your diaper. Once wet the powder will not help.

Better than powder is to use some form of barrier such as a lotion, oil, or rash cream as a preventative. I never get rashes and always use some form of barrier.

One good option is virgin coconut oil. You should Google this. It provides a thin barrier and does not stain most clothing. It is very inexpensive and you can buy it at most grocery stores. Even better is to use a rash cream such as Desitin. I use both - coconut oil during the day and Desitin at night.

Gabe, you mention that you have bowel accidents. So do I. For those of us who are fecal incontinent it is wise to use a barrier cream with zinc oxide. The amount of zinc oxide in these creams varies from about 13% to 40%. The higher percentages of zinc oxide are necessary only if your circumstances require you to remain in a messy diaper for a prolonged period of time after a bowel accident. Desitin is an example of a good rash cream (and one that I use). It contains a low percentage of zinc oxide (I think about 13%) and is easier to apply and clean up than the creams with a higher percentage of zinc oxide.

When applying a rash cream, don't forget to completely coat your privates as well as your bottom and backside.

To avoid a rash it helps if you can wash or at least use cleansing wipes at a diaper change.

As Patrick has noted, shaving your diaper area also helps. Shaving is particularly necessary for those of us prone to bowel accidents.

--John

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:09 pm 

Calmoseptine is the rash cream i use i will use destiny in a pinch thou. John already explained what airing out where i air out is atop the toilet. Im also both bowel and bladder incon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:02 pm 

hey jessee, Thanks for the help.
jesse james wrote:
Calmoseptine is the rash cream i use i will use destiny in a pinch thou. John already explained what airing out where i air out is atop the toilet. Im also both bowel and bladder incon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:35 am 

Hi gabe - you could also look into wipes that have barrier cream on/in them. I've been using them lately and they are really convenient.

Welcome to the forum.