www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:41 am 

Got woken up by my local hospital about a referral my GP for a continence nurse my GP did a few months a go.
Well they are coming out to my unit next wednesday so hopefully they can help.
Just wondering what to expect as well as very anxious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:24 pm 
Admin

I saw one after my MVA, and it all went well as far as I am concerned. She took down all the info on what was going on with me, symptoms, etc, and how I was coping with it all. I was a bit taken aback when she wondered why I was resorting to a diaper at night, but really? When your bladder goes off in the middle of the night, what are you supposed to do about it? Drape a sock over top of it? :oops: I guess being in my 20's then, she did not see using one as a viable option, but she didn't have the issue to deal with in the middle of the night either, so I jsut ignored what she had to say about it. Other then that, I had a scaled back Urodynamics done, fill via catheter and test for post void residual, and the electrode leads to see what was happening with my bladder and pelvic floor when it got to the full/limit point. Nothing too shocking or embarassing, jsut like any Uro appt would be. Good luck, let us know how it all goes for you, :) Puffy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:03 am 

What sort of things should I ask and say as trying to make a list so I can try to prepare.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 pm 

Here are some topics I am going to bring up with continence nurse hopefully I haven't forgotten anything

Topics to bring up with nurse

Medications I am on

Medication I have tried because of bladder

Padding issues

-Need to find right product that is also comfortable
-Padding most of the times feels damp while pulling them up after going to the toilet even on really cold days so don’t think its sweat
-Sometimes irritates skin
-chaffing
-Becomes loose around inner leg area
-Constantly having to pull them up
-Sags a lot
-uncomfortable

Bladder issues

Inconstant behaviours

-Dripping,
-Painfully locking up(even while sleeping waking me up even with small amounts),
-Going to toilet a lot
-Don't feel I have emptied after going to toilet

Constant behaviours

-Constantly Spasms (at least once daily),

-Padding most of the times feels damp while pulling them up after going to the toilet even on really cold days so dont think its sweat

Very Rare behavours

-Bed wet
-loose half bladder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:03 pm 
Admin

Hey Tom 23, I moved your post into this one,a s this is exactly the kind of stuff I was going to mention in regards to talking to them when you go in, I think you have a fairly complete list of things to discuss, I can't really add much more. Hopefully, with the training they have, can answer your questions, and give you some tools and knowledge for dealing with this issue, let us know how it all goes for you, Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:10 am 

Well thank god for valium as well as my breathing relaxation exercises worked :).

Well apparently She thought that something is wrong because of the major unstability and said a 2nd urologist opinon woulndn't hurt so now I can go back to the G.P and ask for one( as the continence Nurse thought it was a good idea) just what I needed a professional in that area is backing me up.(not that my G.P doesn't care or anything G.P probably thought I'd been through enough). And thinks the nerve damage could be causing it.

Also suggested Vesicare or Oxytrol patches.

With the pads MolicareMobile or Tena Flex etc samples because of my issues with the Depends (looseness and having to pull them up all the time so something more snug fitted as I told her everytime i wear cotton underwear over them the underwear gets soaked near the inner thighs.)

Also filled out a CAPS application for funding.Also told me to do Pelvic Floor Exercises and drink more fluids as not drinking enough.

Also gave me her number (not sure when to ring) forgot to give her my measurements should I ring and give them to her?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:55 am 

Rang her the day after as my mental health nurse wanted to know how often I would meet up apparently it was a once off which surprised me and even my MH nurse.

Another thing the continence nurse suggested was to catherise myself which I cant even think of doing due to the times during the tests.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 am 

Hi Tom 23

Self cathing is a very simple way to empting your bladder it only takes a few minutes.
I did it for several years I cathed three time.

2lyle