www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: metformin
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:01 am 

Hi all

I just started metformin on Last thursday due to metabolic syndrome and Psychiatric meds and spinal nerve issues just wondering when the upset stomach, gassiness and multiple bowel movements per day will subside as I am going to have to take out with me and my support worker a change and stuff and really nervous as never had a bowel accident and will require my Support worker to help me clean up as will also be in a complete meltdown as well as issues bending due to back.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: metformin
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:11 am 

do you have issues with high sugar if so there are many other meds to try metforman never did like me and had the same troubles with it i have a pill that i take for my sugar here but do not feel safe telling you of it being i am not a doctor hey mods is there a way i can voice this out to this person in way to clear the site and myself of wrong doing if i tell them of the drug i am talking of

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:01 am 

I’ve been taking metformin for years now. I started with half a tablet morning and evening and then increased. As far as I can remember, bowel issues you mentioned didn’t last very long (not more than one month).
I’ve also been taking other pills every morning with metformin for months. They have a diuretic effect which, in my case, had a significant impact on my wetting pattern. I already had issues before but they got worse. Better alive with diapers than dead without...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:07 am 

mattwp wrote:
do you have issues with high sugar if so there are many other meds to try metforman never did like me and had the same troubles with it i have a pill that i take for my sugar here but do not feel safe telling you of it being i am not a doctor hey mods is there a way i can voice this out to this person in way to clear the site and myself of wrong doing if i tell them of the drug i am talking of

Apparently no but metabolic syndrome and issues with weight due to psychiatric meds not even pre diabetic yet and will hopefully I will be like that for rest of life (not worrying about diabetese

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:06 pm 

The threat of bowel accidents can cause intense anxiety; added to a regimen of psychiatric medications, it can be disabling. When I anticipate a full day out, I clean myself out the day before with enemas or laxatives, then limit my food to low-residue, or no residue on the day in question. This is not foolproof; I can still have a bowel release; however, it will be small, and easily handled by my protection and Nullo or Devrom. Good luck.