www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 pm 

Just thinking if anyone else dries their diapers on the line. I have a HE washer, so they come out with very little water in them. The sun deorderizes them so nicely. I'm not sure what my nieghbours think, if anything at all, no one has ever commented.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:05 pm 
Admin

I am one that line dries my cloth when I can get away from using the dryer, no one has asked as far as the neighbors go, but I am sure they have seen them by now, they do kind of stand out, but I hang them on the inside section of the drying rack I bought for the yard, so they are kind of out of sight, but still noticeable. I am at the "I don't care" point in all of it anyhow, but if they ask I will not hesitate to explain it to them, Puffy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:35 am 

I've line dried my diapers for many years! I live in New England so I give it up during the winter, resorting to the gas dryer.

I preserve some privacy by hanging sheets or similar items to block direct view of my diapers by neighbors. That's always worked just fine.

And since I like my diapers soft, I use a fabric softener rinse in the washer. It is said that fabric softener should not be used on diapers.....nor should bleach.....but I use both and have no problems with short diaper life or lack of absorbancy.

The sun is a wonderful solar dryer! Any breeze greatly accelerates drying time....and I don't think you can beat the freshness of laundry dried outdoors in the sun....diapers or sheets or shirts or anything! Worth the extra effort to carry out a laundry basket and clothes pins.

JoeK

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:44 am 

JoeK, I have done the same thing, I sometimes use sheets or towels as a guard. Part of the my drying rack is the shade, this were I hang my plastic pants.

I have found drying the diapers in the dryer for 15 minutes before hanging them outside, keeps them soft, when they are completely dry. I also use bleach, Clorox with Fabregard, with no ill effects on my twill diapers.
(http://www.nhdcanada.com/adult-diapers- ... 8e43de7d94)

Like Puffy pants I don't really care if some one sees them, but then again my neighbours are very private, and respect my privacy as well.
I live on Vancouver Island, Canada, and the drying season here runs from May to the end of September, before the rains return.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:24 pm 

I live in small town America, where everybody knows everybody else's business, and what they do not know they invent. Explaining to my neighbors why I stagger when I walk was essential to prevent accusations of alcoholism. I too hang my diapers out to dry when weather permits, which made explaining my incontinence necessary also. I guess, partly because our block also has folks with MS, various cancers, and a hospital administrator, coming out about my incontinence was received well. I hope that my neighbors' attitudes toward folks with medical disabilities has been positively influenced by their experience with me.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:00 pm 

I dry my nappies, sheets and kylies etc on the line whenever the weather is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 am 

With the weather heating up and our fairly dry climate, I've rediscovered the clothesline. Usually it takes about 45 minutes to dry a days worth of cloth diapers in the electric dryer. That is a lot of energy($) every day.

Lately I've been hanging a load outside, and by noon they are dry. I 'fluff' them in the dryer on a no heat cycle for a few minutes. Besides saving on the electricity, I've noticed there is a lot less lint in the dryer lint trap. The hot dryer seems to be slowly 'eating' the cloth each time I use the dryer to dry them. It looks like line drying will help extend the life of cloth diapers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:36 pm 

I wear cloth diapers and after washing them I hang them outside to dry. No one has said anything to me. If I ever get any questions I plan to reply "First tell me about your underwear." Not that I rely want to know, but it should keep them quiet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:51 pm 
Admin

ROFL That has got to be one of the best replies that I have heard. HEHE You made my day today. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RetiredRN wrote:
I wear cloth diapers and after washing them I hang them outside to dry. No one has said anything to me. If I ever get any questions I plan to reply "First tell me about your underwear." Not that I rely want to know, but it should keep them quiet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:34 am 

I also hang my cloth diapers on the line to dry up. Fresh weather and sun helps remove any leftover smell. And not using the dryer in my opinion also helps extend the life of the diapers.