www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:26 pm 
Admin

Hello all. I was wondering if any of you have any experience taking chlorophyll tablets to control fecal odor. The Dept. of Vets Affairs has chlorophyll tablets on the formulary. I originally asked about Devrom or Nullo. I don't know if the C-tablets do as good a job. I don't know much about them. If somebody can give me some guidance that would be great. I see my VA doctor in March and I intend to ask about them. I need to do something to control odor. I have episodes of bowel incontinence all the time and currently don't take anything. I just change immediately. I know one day, I'm going to get caught off guard in public and won't be able to change right away. Then what do I do? This bothers me so I need to do something proactive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:53 pm 
Admin

Hey Don, I am sure the V.A. would swap out the Nullo or Devrom for you, I wouldn't think they are any different in price, and do the same thing basically, certainly a good idea to take something before you get into a situation that I am sure you would like to avoid... Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 pm 
Admin

Hey Puff. How are ya?

My thoughts are if the chlorophyll works...I'll use it. The VA uses it for ostomy patients. If they can use it, then so can I. I will at least try it. If Nullo or Devrom work better ( I believe they are chlorophyll based too), then I'm sure my contact at the VA will not have a problem getting it for me. As long as I try what they offer first. But I'm going to give it a shot. I see my doctor at the VA in March. I'll ask then!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 am 

Don wrote:
Hey Puff. How are ya?

My thoughts are if the chlorophyll works...I'll use it. The VA uses it for ostomy patients. If they can use it, then so can I. I will at least try it. If Nullo or Devrom work better ( I believe they are chlorophyll based too), then I'm sure my contact at the VA will not have a problem getting it for me. As long as I try what they offer first. But I'm going to give it a shot. I see my doctor at the VA in March. I'll ask then!

I have a bottle of Devrom right in front of me, the active ingredient is "Bismuth subgallate" 200mg, no chlorophyll listed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:41 pm 
Admin

Deen_ad,

So noted. I thought I read somewhere that those products were clorophyll based. Maybe I was wrong. Thanks for the heads up. Either way, I will soon be using some form of one of those products. Thanks.

Don

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:11 am 

Chlorophyll also works and is in the VA national supply inventory of available products. Null, and Devrom are not items carried in their inventory so they are a little harder to obtain because purchasing these product requires special non-formulary approval. It can be done, it is just easier to use what the VA has in their "approved" national supply system. Been there and done that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:57 am 

I use chlorophyll and to my knowledge nobody has ever smelled my mess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:29 pm 
Admin

Hey all. I'm resurrecting an old topic because I believe it to be relevant.

I tried Nullo after paying for it myself for several months. I still had fecal odor. So I gave up.

I talked to my pharmacy purchase manager at the VA. I asked her about Devrom. Her reply was sure whatever you need. So I took it for action. I explained my bowel situation and she understood. I asked for Devrom and the VA bought it on the non formulary list a couple days later. I received it in the mail and started taking it today. I'm hoping it works better than Nullo. I know all VA pharmacies aren't as easy to work with. It's just a matter of navigating the system and talking to the right person.