www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: travel suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:42 pm 

Ok here's the deal. My wife and I have had several invitations to travel this winter to visit friends in places like Hawaii and Arizona. No one knows, I don't think, of my bladder issues and need to wear diapers on occasion except for my wife. Actually, I wear them more then not when out and about, and always at night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to hide this embarrassing situation? How do you dispose of diapers when you are visiting/living with someone other then your wife. We would love to travel to some of these places, but a little nervous about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: travel suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:34 am 

I think you'll get a lot of good suggestions on this one....it is a recurring thread!

One of the easiest approaches is to tell....gets the problem out in the open and takes the pressure off; some will advocate for this approach.

I'm in the "keep it secret" camp, tho, and so are many others. Your proposed destinations are warm climates that have some effect on daytime concealment but don't rule out shorts. Don't be self conscious; no one is going to see a disposable diaper worn under your shorts.

Disposal is, as you point out, a problem. Hard enough to carry fresh disposables IN via your luggage; we'd rather not carry used diapers out in our luggage! Are you a "back pack" type of person who carries stuff in a back pack while touring about seeing the sights? If so, carry out the used disposable in the morning (in a zip lock plastic bag) in your back pack and drop it off in a public waste receptacle or dumpster as you walk around....and yes, there can be a shortage as we've seen in yet another thread here....especially in public bathrooms....so you can't always count on getting rid of your diaper by visiting a public restroom.

If your stays are short....one or two nights, then packing the used diapers in your luggage may be the best bet.

If your stays are longer....it gets more challenging. Can you ask the friends about trash pick up....what day....as you have "personal" trash you'd like to put out.....it depends of course on how inquisitive your friends are as to how well that approach might work.

One last thought is to scout the neighborhood for a dumpster or waste receptacle and make a morning trek part of your routine....to say, get your morning walk in and maybe purchase a newpaper or something that gets you out early without suspicion and you drop off your used diaper on the way in said dumpster each morning. If you are going to walk or jog, invest in a fanny pack that joggers use for their wallet and cell phone as they walk or jog....get one just big enough to fit a used diaper ..... and you can get the overnight diaper out of the house first thing.

Good luck!
JoeK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:05 pm 

My suggestion exactly, Joe. The longer the stay, the tougher plan of disposal. If you are staying with friends, it's really tough. If I'm on an extended stay, I will gather each day's bag and find an excuse to take a drive and un load my bag at a local trash can. Hotels are a lot easier, though. If you let more than two days worth gather, you have a problem with odor. I'll double bag my waste and use some deodorizer as needed.
Good luck! .........Paul Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 pm 

I travel a lot and here's what I do. I wrap each diaper for travel in a plastic bag, the type you get at supermarkets and other stores. Used diapers are carefully rolled and folded end over end, put in the bag and tied well. If I'm in a hotel a single night I'll usually just leave it in the trash in the bathroom, as there's really nothing more disgusting about handling it than feminine hygiene products and other things the maids are used to dealing with. As I make my way from elevator to my room I scope out trash cans. One place there's almost always one is in the little room with the ice and vending machines. I don't want the maid to see me and say, there's the guy who left the diaper in his room last night!

I haven't done a lot of overnight visiting of friends, but any friend good enough for me to travel to and stay with probably already knows about my issues, and I would have no problem asking if there was a trash can outdoors where I could trash my wet didies.

I always strive to make my little packages as undisgusting as possible - wrapped tightly in plastic or even two plastic bags.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:50 pm 

I carry a roll of scented plastic small waste bags with me in my travel bag. I put each wet diaper in a bag and seal it with as little air in it as possible. Then I throw the bag into a larger waste bag in my travel bag. I then throw them in a trash recepticle when I get the opportunity to do so but never in someone's home should I be staying with someone. Most disposable diapers have some type of odor control and if you seal up the bag well no one will be the wiser. This can be done discretely. I've been doing it for 14 plus years now and have never had a problem.

I'm going to be flying out on a week's vacation in February. I'll only bring as many diapers as I need for the flight. I am going to order what I need for the week and have them delivered to our hotel so they will be waiting there for me when I get there. It takes a little planning ahead but it can be done. Practicing changing while standing up is a plus as you may only have limited room to change in such as your host's bathroom.