www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm 

I've got a neuropathy that has been progressing. I'm not totally incontinent yet. I've got gas incontinence now and I'm definitely on my way to bowl incontinence. I'm looking into what type of diapers would be the most discreet and less noisy. I know eventually I may need more support. I'm new to all this. Any advise will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:47 pm 

Well, first and foremost, get something that works. Forget about how thick it is or how noisy you think it is... the general public is so absorbed in their own little worlds that they won't notice even the thickest diaper.

The only people who might recognize that you are wearing protection are people who have experience with adult diapers themselves. In that case they are a kindred spirit and believe me, they aren't going to say anything.

As far as what product to use... there is a wide variety available. If you want real protection forget the stuff they sell at the drug stores and look online. Finding what works for you is going to be a process of trial and error. I would suggest looking at XPMedical.com and checking out some of their sample packs... that should get you started down the right road.

Best of luck... and remember, you aren't alone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 am 
Admin

Welcome aboard Pat!
There is a wealth of info on this site as to what works, and what doesn't, so if you do a bit of reading and explore some of the listed websites and products, you will find something that will fit your needs. The variety that is out there is so much wider, and improved in technology that finding a product to meed your needs should be no problem. Abena, Molicare, Tranquility are some of the top end diapers, you will pay more but from those that use them, they say it is money very well spent. There are also several others on the forum with varying degrees of neuropathy, so they can assist you there as well... :-) Puffy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:12 am 

Welcom Hi Pat

I also have a serious type of neuropathy which has made me incontinent also.
When I became incontinent it was also just gas and for a couple of years all I did was use a babies cloth diaper folded and put in my under where, I go back a long time before disposable’s.
If you’re incontinent does not produce wetness or little it doesn’t take much to control it that is good hope it never gets bad.

Incontinence in me has spread from just gas to flue blown loss of bowels to urinary incontinence. The only good thing bowel incontinence has subsided for the most part for now.

I agree finding the right product is a trial and era thing there are many different types of products to choose from.

It seems we have several people on here with neuropathy and that surprises me.

Have you talked to your doctor about?
There are things that can be done to help but if you wait nerve that is infected by neuropathy can gets destroyed and it may never come back.

Neuropathy is a funny disease what type do you have?

Lyle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:29 pm 

Hi Pat and welcome. You'll find a lot of support here as well as advice. I do agree with the others that the best thing is to go online and do the research. It seems there are now a lot of choices on the market and select a couple or three companies that are reasonably near you and see if they'll send samples. I wouldn't deal with a company that's across the country as it'll take a bit longer to get your product to you. That way you can begin to narrow down your choices. If you're really stuck between a rock and a hard place, then the mass market products such as Depend and CVS or Walmart or Walgreen may do in a pinch. I have been using the CVS adjustable since I have overactive bladder and not a full-blown incontinence, at least not yet. They have been perfectly adequate for my needs but I'm researching something better. The trouble with the mass market diapers is periodically they'll come out with packages that say "new and improved." Usually it's anything but new and improved. I've found this out recently with the CVS adjustables. The center panel feels even stiffer and narrower and clumps when wet. That isn't new and improved to me! So I think what I'm saying is do research for your day-to-day products and maybe sign up for a delivery plan where you get your products delivered on a monthly or two-month basis, depending on what your needs are. And have a package from the local big box available in case you run out or for one reason or another can't get your regularly used product. Although Depends etc. aren't great, they are better than nothing if you find yourself in a position where you have to wear something. Good luck and hope you find something that works for you soon!