www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plastic diapers?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:57 pm 

SO I know almost all store brands are junk, but I cant even find any brands that are plastic on the outside. Any ideas of some major chain stores that carry actual diapers, not pullups, that have plastic backing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:16 pm 
Admin

Ibb,

You may have to check out some medical supply stores. Most of the brands I know of that are plastic backed are brands like abena and molicare. Many brands are now going to cloth backed diapers. However, I do believe that Tranquility are still plastic backed, although I have not used them in a couple years. You can find them in some medical supply stores. Most of the stuff you find in chain stores like walmart or the grocery stores will leave you with leaks. They aren't worth my time or money. If you're strapped for cash, I'm not sure if depend fitted maximum protection are plastic backed or not. Last time I used them, they were plastic. And they are a 6 tape diaper, not a pullup. You can find them in Walmart or most drug stores. I don't think they are worth much, but they'll do in a pinch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:11 am 

Try Depends. I'm sure you can find this brand in most stores that sell incon products. However, the good quality products are only availale online as you may have already found out. Another good place to look is eBay. Sometimes you can get some really good deals with free shipping. Just ask Sandy,......I think she buys most, if not all of her incon products off of eBay.

Post subject: plastic backed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:44 am 

I believe Attends still are plastic-backed; as long as you don't get the ones labeled "Breathable". Although I think they are only available in medical supply stores.

Depend Maximum protection are what they relabeled their fitted briefs and were plastic backed the last time I had to buy some in a pinch (i.e. forgot my supplies bag).

-Darin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:13 pm 

I keep a few Walgreens disposables on hand. These switched from plastic backed to cloth backed a while ago now. I use the ones for heavy incontinence which work surprisingly well for a store brand. These are so called "cloth" backed with a very thin plastic layer under the cloth shell. The plastic seems to be much thinner than when they were plastic backed.
The cloth backing does tend to weep when the diaper is wet so I wear plastic pants over the diaper. I'm not a huge fan of disposables but there are times when they are more convenient. I do like the velcro like tapes on the cloth backed diapers. I had lots of trouble with the adhesive tapes on plastic backed diapers coming undone when I didn't want them to. The velcro type ones have not failed me yet. The cloth backed are quieter to wear than plastic backed. Over then years I have found disposables to leak even when the diapers is only partially saturated. I'd wake up with wet sheets and a diaper only partially wet. Disposable just don't wick like cloth diapers do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 pm 

I've had a lot of bad experiences with these lovely cloth backed disposables. The outer covering is porous, which is supposed to be good for skin health. Well, if air can get in air can get out, which means they smell quite strongly when wet. If I can smell me I know others can as well, and that's just not considerate. Also, those little pores seep moisture. I don't want my disposable to feel wet on the outside, and I don't want to have to wear plastic pants over my disposable. So I stay away from cloth backed stuff.

Unless you are fortunate enough to have a really good medical supply store near you you are probably going to be stuck with "cheap" brands like Depend. Suffice to say the best diapers are available online. I've tried a lot of brands over the years but I always keep coming back to the Abena Abri-form line. Good quality, excellent performance and a price that doesn't break the bank. Try XP Medical online, their customer service is great.