www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PUL Pants
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:39 pm 

I know that somewhere there is a post on the PUL (polyurethane laminate) pants but was unable to locate it. In any case I ordered a pair. The fit is good but I just can't wear them outside of the house as the noise they make is very noticeable to me. I know that someone had posted that they are noisy but I had no idea how much noisier they are than vinyl pants. I'm sure most people can't hear them but I can and I'm very conscious of the noise. Maybe under a pair of jeans they wouldn't be as noisy but under a pair of shorts it sounds as if I am wearing heavy cordoroy pants when walking. They are lightweight and comfortable but so are good vinyl pants. The fact that they are supposed to last longer is outweighed by the noise they make in my humble opinion. I'll probably order a couple more pairs for when I'm sleeping at night but for now I'll stick to vinyl during the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:42 pm 
Admin

DDS,
I too like vinyl pants. I have not tried PUL pants but if they are as loud as you say they are, then I don't want them. I walk down quiet hallways at school and can't have noise like that or someone would hear me. I wear vinyl pants made by Kins. They work for me. I'm actually awaiting 2 more pair to come in the mail. I'm hoping they'll be here today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:22 pm 

Don, I'm pretty certain that few people pay attention to the noise I make when walking and even fewer would relate the noise to the fact that I am wearing a diaper. However I can tell the difference between the PUL pants and vinyl pants. The vinyl pants I wear (Gary) are extremely quiet which helps me to cope with the mental thing about needing to wear protection. No noise means I seldom think about it. It has become such a part of my daily routine that I rarely think about it. The additional noise (more of a rustling noise) makes me much more aware that I am wearing protection. Don't get me wrong. I think the PUL pants are a great thing but I won't wear them outside of the house. They are a little pricey but then they are supposed to last much longer than vinyl pants. If there were some way to make them quieter I'd make the switch. For now I'll stick with vinyl during the day. I also read that PUL is supposed to be cooler to wear than vinyl but I can't tell the difference. On a hot day both types can be uncomfortable to wear. I'm welcoming the cooler fall temps.

Post subject: PUL Pants
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:36 pm 
Admin

I looked at these, they are available through Adult Cloth Diaper's site, anyone happen to know of a Canadian supplier? The shipping to get them here outweighs the benefit, but if I can find them in Canada I would like to try them. The ones from Gabby's are decent, not vinyl like, more of a soft cloth type outer shell with the waterproof layer inside, not big on the elastics though. If Kins had the PUL I would go through them for sure. Seems to be a hit with everyone who tries them as far as how they fit/feel, minus the noise, which doesn't really bother me as I am not out in a coverpant too often, Puffy

Last edited by Puffy Pants on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:37 am 

I wear the polyurethane pants (not the PUL ones) most of the time. They're also a little noisy but so far no one seems to notice or care. I've found they wear a LONG time and are cooler. I buy the higher waisted ones and get one size smaller than normal since I wear disposables all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 pm 

Polyurethane is used to waterproof all kinds of apparel. I've got a camo hunting coat that has a polyurethane barrier just under the outer shell to make it waterproof. However it is quite noisy due to the polyurethane barrier so I seldom wear it when sitting in my treestands. Bow hunting deer requires clothing to be as quiet as possible. Deer hear pretty much everything and any noise out of the ordinary puts them on alert. I bought the jacket along with other hunting gear from a friend who's brother had passed away. They needed to sell some of his brother's things to help with the funeral costs. Everything I bought was unused or barely used and I wanted to help out the family.

Post subject: poly or PUL pants
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 pm 

comments noted.

I've not used this type, mainly COMCO over the years. My lady-friend has both the PUL and polyurethene overpants and they get a bit loud at times. Not an issue with her when she uses a wheelchair, but walking with crutches, the scrunching sounds are evident when surroundings are quiet. Stay out of the library or chapel in these!!!...but for use on the street or at a mall or concert, the noise really doesn't rise about the crowd or other noises. Sometimes we are a bit hyper-sensitive, even after years of wearing. Also, the two of us know what we are hearing,
whereas others have no clue or could care less.

Just my cadid input. That's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 am 
Admin

Well, seeing that I needed to add to my cloth closet, I ordered a couple of coverpants I have never tried from Kins, one in polyester (should be very similar to the Gabby's version), one in nylon, and one in rubber. Going to see which I prefer best for nights, as I know I do not like the Vinyl Kin's style I tried a while ago, dried out, and was just too stiff for my liking. I prefer the poly at night, I don't even notice I have it on, makes for a better sleep. Maybe one of the "untried" styles I just ordered will be even better, will post a report after they all get a trial run. Not expecting much out of the rubber version, but until they get a trial I can't be sure. I did try a Suprima pant a long time ago, but it was a softer vinyl style that didn't make it to 6 months, tore before it cracked, with very light usage... will see... :) Puffy