www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ADD/ADHD and Bedwetting
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:40 am 
Admin

Hello all. I am currently being worked up for inattentive ADD. I see my psychiatrist on Sept. 12th. I am already diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. There is a strong correlation betweeen people have Bipolar Disorder and also having ADD. People are generally diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and then diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder later in life. My therapist thinks I have ADD but it was missed in childhood. I have heard in the past that it is pretty common for people who have add/adhd to also wet the bed. I was wondering if anyone on this forum found that to be the case. I currently am a sleepwetter and wet almost every night. Now, my incontinence has another cause, but I did wet unexplainably as a teen. It was never solved as to why and I was wondering if anybody else has ADD and wets the bed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:48 pm 

You, have ADD/ADHD? Really? Shocking.

I see 11 topics started by you on the first page of this forum alone.

Slow down some, breathe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:52 pm 
Admin

Puddleguy,
Its called Hyperfocus. Talking on the website actually calms me down and gives me an outlet for all my health problems. Both mental and physical. I literally can't slow down. I hope I'm not getting on anyones nerves. Like another user, I too have lots of questions and things to talk about. Have a good day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:28 am 

Don, if you go here you will find the text of a study concerning ADHD and incontinence. It sort of seems logical that there would be a connection and the research suggests there is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:38 pm 
Admin

I read the article. It elaborates on how kids with adhd/add are more likely to suffer from daytime incon issues, enuresis, and encopresis. It also talks about how it is often harder to get these young people dry. I myself have tried 6 different incon drugs. All to no avail. But my incon issues are caused by something other than that. I was previously continent until the age of 25. I am 29 now. I did wet the bed unexplainably between the ages of 16 and 18. Nobody knew why. It is just coming out of the weeds now that I could have ADD. I was never tested for it as a child. My parents just thought that I didn't study and didn't pay attention. They may have been wrong. I will have to see my psychiatrist to tell. I can not take any medications because they are stimulants. Stimulants and bipolar disorder do not mix. So I'll just have to learn coping strategies. I have done fairly well in college so far so I think its getting better as I get older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:06 am 

According to what I was told at a sleep clinic bed wetting (or night enuresis) is very common with sleep apnea. I have MS and sleep apnea so...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 am 
Admin

I've been tested for sleep apnea. I don't have it. But I understand the correlation.

My psychiatrist believes I have adult ADD. She gave me a med for it called Kapvay. I am going to try it this weekend when I'm not in school. I don't know what effect it will have on me so I want to do it out of the safety of my home. The med also works on blood pressure. I already take a med for that so the Kapvay could make my BP go even lower. This would make me dizzy and lightheaded. I can't have that in school.

I do wear a medical tag around my neck that lists my name, wifes name and number, and doctors name and number on one side, then on the other, it lists my health conditions and medicines I'm taking. That way, if I'm out and about and something happens, people know who to call. Never had to use it but you never know with my health conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:05 am 
Admin

I tried the Kapvay for 5 days. I had to come off of it due to side effects. I got muscle aches all over my body. My knees, quads, shoulders, fingers, and stomach area hurt pretty bad. I couldn't type for school and I was really stiff. So I had to stop taking it. I am very sensitive to side effects with medication. My doctor doesn't think she will put me on any more meds because of my reaction. Most of the ADD meds are stimulants. Since I have bipolar disorder, I can't take any of those. Only the non-stimulants. But I talked with my therapist and she said we could work on coping skills instead of being on a medication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 am 

Well at least you seem to have an understanding person to help you, Don. So far as I have seen, coping skills anyway are probably the better and more successful for adults than medication.

let's hope you are helped that way.