www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:59 pm 

Don,
One thing I forgot: The only issue I've had while having a medical exam is one time when I had a CAT scan. The tech had to ask me to pull my diaper down for the abdominal part of the scan. Seems the diaper was creating a 'cloud' on the image.
Ari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:24 am 
Admin

Ari,
I too have had an abdominal CT scan. On mine though, the diaper was not an issue. I told the tech I was wearing them and they just said no problem. And it wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:21 am 

Maybe different brands react differently to the equipment? What I expected was for the snaps on my plastic pants to be an issue, which they weren't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 pm 
Admin

I went to my doctor today. I asked her straight up what her opinion on the plastic pants and concealers were. She just said that as a medical professional, she really doesn't care. She said if it makes my life easier, then wear it. I showed her my concealer and explained its purpose. She understood and thought it was a good idea. She also said that if someone has a problem with the concealers (onesies as she called it) then they can spend a day with my health conditions and see how they choose to manage it. She said if the other doctors and nurses had bowel and bladder incontinence then they would probably manage it in the same way, as best they could. Bottom line, she said if it makes my life easier, then go with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 am 

You know, I don't really care what other people think about what I wear! I guess old age does that. If they see I'm wearing a diaper or plastic pants so what? I make no "bones about it". If they ask I say yes, sometimes it'll come up in a discussion and I'll tell people. So far no one has said anything. Even my grandkids (two are living with us after my step daughter died) know. The youngest (9 at the time) wondered why there were so many diapers around, so I told him and my wife filled in the details about MS. I figured I wore contacts because my eyes are bad, I wear diapers/plastic pants because my bladder/bowels are bad. If someone has a problem with that, then it's THEIR problem!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 pm 
Admin

The only reason I care is because I have to see my doctors repeatedly throughout the year. I don't want them getting the wrong impression. That would make the situation a little uncomfortable. I don't need any awkward moments. My psychiatrist told me not to worry about it. Its not that big a deal. She said she doesn't care what I wear. It made me feel better. I just don't want my doctors thinking I'm an AB or DL or anything like that. I don't do this for attention.