www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:30 pm 

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a road bike. I can wear diapers underneath bike shorts.

Don, I can tell you about my situation although it isn't really the same as yours since I don't have the bowel problems. I have a dripping problem and can get through most days with no protection, but exercise seems to aggravate the dripping and my bike rides last 1:20 to 1:30, so I always have a strong urge to go long before finishing. I also refuse to dehydrate myself in an effort to stay dry. As the urge to pee increases, the dripping becomes dribbling and squirting, especially when I hit bumps and since I can't hold much anyway I'm going to be wet one way or another by the time I finish.

I've tried diapers underneath and by folding the waist down about two inches I can hide most of it, but sometimes they ride down as I pedal and I find myself with an inch or so of white diaper showing above my shorts. Also the bulk shows although long shirts help a bit. After a bit more than a year I've discovered the best thing for me in the summer is to wear black bike shorts made of that Spandex material and just let it flow. It just doesn't show on the black very much and dries very quickly. It saves a diaper as well.

In cold weather I wear an Abena pull-up (my standard diaper I buy by the case from XP Medical) with a pair of black sweatpants on the outside. I wet less in the winter since I drink less water, but you'd have to look very closely to see anything.

Just my experience. Good luck with the biking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 pm 
Admin

I think I am going to try running first. Just short distances to start off with. I can take immodium to ward off diarrhea before any run. I thought about wearing an extra underneath my running shorts. I don't know if that will work though. I definitely want a bike but I just can't afford it right now. I have a hybrid bike that was just serviced but I want something a little faster. I'm thinking of a road bike but the one I want is like $1500. Its made by a compony called Cervelo. I could ride a bike like this comfortably for about 20 miles or so. And I could cover that ground in a little over an hour. On the hybrid, that ride would take me several hours and I'm likely never to begin because of it. I'm also leaning toward the bike b/c I can wear a diaper underneath the bike shorts. I also have a bike jersey and bike shorts already. The jersey comes down low enough and has elastic around the waist so that it doesn't ride up to reveal the diaper. I'm pretty sure I could successfully pull this off even if I could afford a used bike. I just have to save my $$$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 pm 
Admin

I was released from physical therapy the other day. The PT tech had me run on the treadmill. He said my form was good. I told him I want to start running. I have got to lose weight. I don't feel good about myself. I am going to start running in the evening. I have a pair of running shorts that are soft moisture wicking and are form fitting. They would support a diaper. The come down to my mid-leg. I ran a marathon in them. They are very cool. The only problem is that one would be able to see the diaper outline through the shorts so I would have to wear a loose pair of running shorts over them to mask the outline. Its not really that big of a problem as long as I'm protected. I thought about signing up for the local half marathon and training. Running 13.1 miles will make one lose weight. I thought about calling XPmedical and see if they would sponsor me. What do you think?