www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:28 pm 
Admin

I'm trying to lose weight. I have a gym membership to lift weights and there are treadmills, elipticals, and tread climbers in the gym for cardio workouts. But I'm looking for something to do outside. I'm just trying to lose like 15 lbs. I weigh 200 now and I'm trying to get down to about 185. I chose 185 because that was my healthy weight before I became ill in the Marine Corps. I gained like 30 lbs. But I've lost 15 by dieting. I was up to about 215. I gained weight because my Lithium medication messed up my thyroid. I was always so tired that I just ate and never excercised. Now I'm taking a thryoid medication and have that under control and I'm looking to do something about my weight.

I used to be a runner. I've run several 5 and 10k's and a marathon so far. But I can't do that anymore because I wear diapers for bladder and bowel incontinence. I'm looking for something I can do for cardio. I'm thinking about getting a road bike. I can wear diapers underneath bike shorts. I can't really wear them stealthily under running shorts so thats kind of out of the question. Running aggravates my urge to have a bowel movement. I can't control that and don't want it to happen on a long run. So I think I want to bike. I used to do triathlons as well. I used to own a tri bike but it was stolen. But I'm pretty sure I can conceal a diaper underneath bike shorts. And that will help me get my cardio in. What do ya'll think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:14 am 

I think a bike is a great idea. I have one I turned into a stationary bike. I can put some music on the home stereo and pedal away. I need to use mine more often though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:54 am 

Hi SeattleDoug.

If you read the sales pitch for the new Abena pull ups...the Abriflex Special pull ups, it sounds like the perfect diaper for exercising!

www.kckmedical.com gets you to the Abena store. These new pull ups are boxer briefs with short legs. The short legs are the key to keeping them up during excercising activity...even running or jogging.

If you try them, let us know if they are as good as promised in the advertising hype!

JoeK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:51 am 

Don,
I'm an exercise nut and similar to your weight. I was at 207 and got down to 185 a few years back. I watch what I eat all the time, but do a lot of exercising. I swim at my YMCA 5 days a week, but really enjoy biking on a greenway just outside my office. I do 10 miles a day. It does not bother my diaper as I bike and I get a good workout. I use to run, but my joints can't take the pounding all the time. Good luck! ....Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:37 am 
Admin

Paul,
I have exercised induced asthma so I kind of have to take it easy. I also have a bad right knee. It aches and pops all the time. I'm looking for a bike because its less stress on my joints and makes my knee hurt less than the constant pounding of running. I also like to swim. I have an olympic size pool at my university that I frequent quite often. I have a blue pair of board shorts and a blue swim diaper to match. I'm pretty confident I can pull off the bike riding as well. I just got to get up the money to purchase one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 am 
Admin

Joe,
I tried to find the pullups you referred to at KCKmedical.com but couldn't find them. I don't think I would wear them anyway because I don't want to wear a diaper that is a pair of shorts. It just sounds too hot. When I run or bike, I tend to wear lightweight moisture wicking clothing that is the least restrictive. I don't want to wear something that makes me hot. I will probably go with something like the Extra's that I own. It is small, and lightweight, and not too restrictive. I think this would be easier to wear underneath a pair of bike shorts. I'm also not to keen on having a bowel movement in a pullup. I have never done that and don't know if it would hold. Not looking for any embarassment. You know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:49 am 

Don wrote:
Joe,
I'm also not to keen on having a bowel movement in a pullup. I have never done that and don't know if it would hold. Not looking for any embarassment. You know?

I can tell you that a pull up will not work for bowel movements. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 pm 

I get plenty of exercise. Most of it is physical work done during work hours. Having lower back issues meant that I needed to learn how to lift properly and that I needed to do my back strengthening exercises on a daily basis. My physical therapist outlined a few exercises that would strengthen my lower back muscles and I try to do them faithfully every morning. I still have occasional issues with my lower back but mostly when I fail to do my stretching, etc... I also enjoy walking and riding my bike. I'm a pretty active individual. I have to keep my weight down to under 180 Lbs or my lower back suffers. Exercise and physical labor do not help with my lack of bladder control. Whenever I am lifting heavier items I release urine due to the stress. I also tend to wet more when I'm on a walk. I've gotten used to it as I'd end up releasing it sooner or later anyway. I've gotten to the point where I know just how far I can walk without sagging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:15 pm 
Admin

Thanks Wink. I was 99% sure that a pullup would not hold a bowel movement. Only a full taped brief will do that. I'm not too keen on buying pullups anyway as the only place I would use them is in the gym. However, I have found that since I have bowel incon problems as well, its just as easy to wear a diaper like the Abena Extra. That way, I am fully covered for urinary and bowel incontinence and I can wear them underneath my gym shorts. Nobody can tell when I work out. If the place were dead quiet, you could hear the noise, however, will all the stuff going on in the gym, no one can hear the rustle of the diaper. It is easy to pull off...no sweat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:12 am 

Side note: People keep mentioning the crinkle noises associated with the plastic shell of a diaper, the saying that "when it's quiet" people could hear it.

With the exception of a library - where does anyone really find a "quiet" place? And - if it's quiet - it's normally because "nobody" is around - therefore - they don't hear it.

If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it........ Do the squirrels care? :D

-

Michael