www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:18 pm 
Admin

My doctor is putting me on Sanctura for my incontinence. But if that doesn't work, Botox is an option thats on the table. I would have to go in at a minimum of 3 months to maximum of a year for injections through my urethra. The doc says it works in like 80% of people. I just don't know if I'm willing to try it though. I'm not too keen on having to go in a few times a year to have this stuff injected into my bladder. It will be done in the OR with a cystoscope. I don't think I want this. I'm going to try the sanctura and if that doesn't work then I'm going to tell my doctor I'm done. I don't want to do anything else. The diapers aren't that bad. Besides, I'll have to wear them anyway because I have partial bowel incontinence. So it really doesn't matter. I'll still have to wear diapers. What do you think?

Another option is the Interstim Implant. I don't want this one either because they have to go in surgically and put leads in the sacral nerve in the tailbone and the pacemaker effects your bladder. I have heard of alot of people getting this done and they have all kinds of problems with the device. The leads can slip and they have to put them back. Also, you have to go in to the urologist all the time to have the machine adjusted. Not my cup of tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:47 am 

I agree with you. I have urge incontinence. After trying six different drugs that didn't help very much, I've decided to just manage it with diapers and not worry about it.

I've read quite a bit about Botox for incontinence. Generally it is reported to work well for a few months at a time. However, one fairly common complication is that for a few days or weeks after an injection, your bladder may be paralysed.to th point that you have to catheterize yourself several times a day. IMHO, that complication is worse than incontinence.

And the idea of having electrodes implanted in my spine sounds like an extreme measure that isn't warranted by something as easy t manage as urge incontinence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:04 pm 
Admin

I for sure would not want anything injected into an area that I would still have problems with anyhow, stick with the diaper is what my reply is. Botulism toxin, that does not sound too nice to me! I also would not opt for anything surgical implanted that may or may not work, now if it was a for sure cure, I most likely would, but seeing that you still would not have an answer for the #2 problem, not a chance... Have a good weekend! 8) Puffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:54 pm 
Admin

Yea after I read about all the side effects from the interstim, the more I can appreciate the diapers. Notice I didn't say like them. They don't cause me any side effects, they require no surgery. I have tried many different anticholinergenics and have failed them all. They caused many unpleasant side effects and I'm done living like that. I was miserable. The worst side effect was the constipation. It hurt like hell. So I quit taking the meds. My doctor agreed it wasn't worth it. The urologists think any side effect is better than incontinence. I highly disagree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:30 pm 

Hi Don---

I had an unsuccessful trial of Interstim a few years ago; after the week of evaluation the MD and I decided that the benefit didn't really warrant going ahead.

I did get injected with Botox on 2/18; still cathing multiple times daily (and have gotten pretty good at it!). My take on this is that the lifestyle freedom is worth it, if nothing else has done it (tried all the meds, etc. before with lousy results). After aprox 6 yrs 24/7 with diapers, it's nice to not deal with them, at least for now. I don't know how long the Botox will last; apparently it varies with each person. For now, I'm happy with the result.

I must say in response to your post that it would be a significantly complicating factor to be dealing with bowel incon too.....If that makes diapers a necessity anyway, the point may be moot.

Just thought I'd use this opportunity to report on what I've undergone so recently----best to all.

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 pm 
Admin

Thanks Gimwet! I appreciate your post. Your take on the interstim just gives me more evidence on why I shouldn't do it. Also thanks for the heads up on the botox. My doc said it helps about 80% of recipients. But like you said, with bowel incontinence, I still have to wear diapers. I just wouldn't be wetting them. But my doc told me that I would have to go in like every 3 months to a year to get injections through a cystoscope. I don't think I want to go through that. Especially if I have to do it every 3 months. My incontinence is the result of a side effect of my psych meds. So far, they have been stronger and more persistent than anything I've taken for incontinence so far. With that reputation, I don't look for the botox to last very long in helping me with my incontinence. My medications are powerful in the ways they act on the brain.