www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am 

Hey y'all.

As most of you may know, I really don't care whether my diapers are plastic backed or cloth backed, as long as they get the job done and are comfortable. That being said, I have noticed that accidentally ripping a tab off when I am applying a diaper tends to happen MUCH more often with cloth-backed disposables than with plastic backed ones. In fact, this is the sole reason to this day I will not use Attends Extended Wear. I never could get the tabs to consistely work for me without ripping off. I also found the price point to be too expensive. I dont know, am I pulling too tight when I put the diaper on? Or do some of you find that some brands and styles are cheaper and more apt to rip than others? Better Dry seem to be the least likely to rip on the whole, while Attends Breathable is more likely to rip. Currently I am using Abena Delta form, and I remember reading that the quality on that product had diminished somewhat. Or perhaps it was a lesser tier of Abri form in the cloth backed version. I can't remember which it was. But, its an interesting question. Do cloth backed products tend to rip more easily than plastic backed? I find that even if I rip a tab off, I can sometimes salvage the diaper by sticking the tab so the sticky portion is in between the wing and the front of the diaper where the seams meet. This is less successful with cloth backed diapers however.

On a side note, I currently have stocked 2 different absorbencies of Delta form, L1 and L3. L1 was intended to be used around the house, basically like my medicaid diapers, whereas L3 was intended for work. However, my job requires me to be very physically active, and I am not sure the Delta Form is up to the task without breaking down after a few hours. It still held an episode well despite having padding breakdown, but I am rather concerned. But I do have 2 cases of Crinklz ordered, hopefully they will ship soon. After they run out, I think I might look into Beyond or Seni. I am allowed to use cloth at work, however, the store director wants me to immediately take out to my car any soiled cloth diaper rather than have it stored in a wet bag or plastic bag in the back, since the store sells food. That is not an unreasonable point, but it could be a lot of walking out ot my car if I used cloth and had more than a few episodes in a night. So, I will probably go back to using disposables at work for the time being.

What say you all? Do cloth backed diapers rip more easily than plastic backed?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:43 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
I have noticed that accidentally ripping a tab off when I am applying a diaper tends to happen MUCH more often with cloth-backed disposables than with plastic backed ones.

I have encountered the same problem with the TENA Super. I like a snug fit and have pulled the top tabs off. They're just not very strongly attached.

What I do now, is that I pinch the tab at the base of the tab where it connects to the backing, when snugging the tape. Once in place then apply pressure to the tab loose end so it hooks in, and then release. I hope that I've explained that ok.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:24 am 

Rob, yes, the tabs on cloth-backed disposables pull off more often than on plastic-backed diapers. My experience is similar to yours. For cloth-backed disposables I favor the Seni Super Quatro.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:34 am 

I havent found a cloth diaper to work for me. I use northshore supreme at home and megamax when out. I very very rarely have tabs rip on me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:56 pm 

justej wrote:
I havent found a cloth diaper to work for me. I use northshore supreme at home and megamax when out. I very very rarely have tabs rip on me.

Do you mean a cloth diaper, or a cloth backed disposable? I'm assuming you mean the latter.

I have tried Megamax, but just not a fan of the cut and fit. It seems to cut into my legs too much. While I am sure they are very absorbrent and work well for a lot of people, I just can't get them to work well for me. I tried other diapers that were similar and had better results with fit with those. Now, Mega Max Air lock on the other hand was more comfortable. Its just hard to get over the higher cost of Northshore care brand diapers.

I think the frequency of tab ripping has to do with the quality of the plastic backing, and fabric on cloth backed is more fragile.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:26 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Rob, yes, the tabs on cloth-backed disposables pull off more often than on plastic-backed diapers. My experience is similar to yours. For cloth-backed disposables I favor the Seni Super Quatro.

--John

Hey John!

I have noticed that sometimes the tabs on Seni Quatro stretch a little thin or don't grip as easily. Do you ever find that to be the case? I used to have no problem with Seni Quatro but recently I've noticed a decrease in quality of the tape in how it applies to the diaper. Perhaps the problem is they were trying to go for a hybrid tape that is both adhesive and velcro, and didn't have enough surface area on either to be effective?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:29 pm 

I have gone through about five cases of Seni Super Quatro and haven't noticed a problem with the tabs except for the very infrequent issue of having one pull off of the backing.

I tape my diapers mostly by feel. Having done this so many times, I almost have muscle memory of when the tension is about right and the placement of the tab on the front part.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:25 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
justej wrote:

Do you mean a cloth diaper, or a cloth backed disposable? I'm assuming you mean the latter.

yes cloth backed disposable

sociologygeek wrote:
I have tried Megamax, but just not a fan of the cut and fit. It seems to cut into my legs too much. While I am sure they are very absorbrent and work well for a lot of people, I just can't get them to work well for me. I tried other diapers that were similar and had better results with fit with those. Now, Mega Max Air lock on the other hand was more comfortable. Its just hard to get over the higher cost of Northshore care brand diapers.

I think the frequency of tab ripping has to do with the quality of the plastic backing, and fabric on cloth backed is more fragile.

In the last few days I have had the cutting problem with supremes for some reason. Im wearing tranquility atns since im mostly in bed on a bed pad for the next few days. Really annoying

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:26 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
justej wrote:

yes cloth backed disposable

sociologygeek wrote:

In the last few days I have had the cutting problem with supremes for some reason. Im wearing tranquility atns since im mostly in bed on a bed pad for the next few days. Really annoying