www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surgery Question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:53 pm 

I will be having surgery for an umbilical hernia in early November. At the same time they will remove a small cyst on the scrotum. I would like to not have a catheter and was looking at this product for temporary use after surgery and while healing: https://quickchange.com/pages/how-to-use#_ Maybe someone has had a vasectomy and had experience in dealing without being able to wear a diaper during healing. This may be TMI, but would really appreciate any advice you all might have! Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Surgery Question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:07 pm 

Looking at the product, I would be worried about the seal around the penis allowing to leak. The other thing would be what is the penis slips out. Walmart had a bag type item that would wrap around the penis. Either it didn't sell and ended up on their discount rack. it went from $9 to $5. I went ahead and tried one to see. Glad I didn't go out of the house. It leaked immediately

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:22 am 

Good luck with your decision. My skin is so oily that external catheters slip off, even when they were applied by enterostomal nurses. Granted that Foleys are superhighways for disease organisms, if you will only need one for a day or two, you might be better off using one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:40 pm 

I had surgery for an inguinal hernia a couple of years ago and was worried about how to handle my urinary incontinence during the healing period when I supposed that I would not be allowed to wear a diaper. However, my surgeon said that, so long as I was not experiencing any bowel incontinence, I could wear a diaper after the surgery. So that’s what I did, and I had no problem with an infection or any other complication. Please consult your surgeon about what you should do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:40 pm 

I had surgery for an inguinal hernia a couple of years ago and was worried about how to handle my urinary incontinence during the healing period when I supposed that I would not be allowed to wear a diaper. However, my surgeon said that, so long as I was not experiencing any bowel incontinence, I could wear a diaper after the surgery. So that’s what I did, and I had no problem with an infection or any other complication. Please consult your surgeon about what you should do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:04 pm 

Thanks so much for all your input! I have samples and will try them out before surgery! I have concerns about leaks too, and will check with the surgeon. It would not be a problem with just the umbilical surgery, but with the small cyst removal on the scrotum, that might take a few days to heal up before I could go back to diapers. Will let you all know what works out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:54 am 
Admin

I had a vasectomy performed a couple weeks ago. A urologist did it. He knew I was incontinent and had no issues with the diapers. He was more concerned about my heart issues than the diapers I wore. I’ve also had surgery for an inguinal hernia in 2014. They’ll sew it up and will probably use a surgical glue to seal the wound and then put steri-strips over it. It’s pretty much water proof. Even my vasectomy incisions were fine. They just sewed them up and I was good. I just tried not to sit around in wet diapers and tried to keep as clean as possible. I do that anyway but especially after my surgery. It’s not really an issue just keep it as clean as possible. Your doctor will probably tell you take showers and not baths. No swimming but my urologist treated the diapers like no big deal. He said I wasn’t the first. No worries.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:44 pm 

Don, thank you so much for the information! This is really encouraging. My situation should be very similar to having a vasectomy.
Gary