www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:19 pm 

Is anyone else here using the Coloplast Peristeen Transanal Irrigation system?

My SCI rehab doctor prescribed it and I have had success using it for my bowel incontinence. It does require a doctor's prescription and some training to use it. The system is intended for those with neurogenic bowel disfunction, usually from a SCI injury.

The system essentially is an enema system designed for those who cannot retain water from an ordinary enema sufficiently for the it to be effective. Coloplast uses the term "irrigation" in lieu of "enema."

A key aspect of the Peristeen system is the use of an inflated catheter cuff to seal the rectum and prevent leaks. By catheter cuff, think of an enema nozzle with a balloon around it. The user squeezes a rubber bulb to inflate the cuff.

After a brief learning curve, I can report that I am having no leaks during "irrigation" and, most importantly, no bowel accidents afterward. :D Of course, some accidents are bound to happen, but so far none.

You may recall that I have used traditional soapsuds enemas with a large plugging nozzle for years to manage my bowel incontinence. That process was often messy and time-consuming. Irrigation with the Peristeen system is much more comfortable and requires less time.

A significant downside is that the system is prohibitively costly :( unless your insurance company will cover it.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:33 pm 

This was interesting to read. Thank you. I do intend to ask my gastroenterologist and/or physical therapist if it would be appropriate for me. Again, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:20 pm 

Patrick,

I would recommend that you do some research on the Peristeen Irrigation System before you discuss it with your gastroenterologist. Many doctors are not yet familiar with it, so you may need to "enlighten" yours. It is best to be prepared. None of my doctors recommended it until I was referred back to an SCI rehab center and they were very familiar with it. :D

Given your medical situation, you should not have any difficulty getting your insurance company to cover it. Otherwise, it is quite expensive. :(

Should you need them, I have many published medical papers on the Peristeen system. It is FDA-approved and now is considered a mainstay treatment for SCI neurologic bowel. If you need any backup material, just let me know and I will send you a link either here in the forum or by PM.

I also have additional information I can post here in the forum, should there be any interest.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:57 pm 

Thank you for your offer of assistance. With gastoparesis, the whole (expletive deleted) GI system is neurologically affected, so I have used enemas periodically, when time and circumstance permit. Having the peristeen system in my toolkit when I need it would make life easier. My challenge is that I have so many medications that I usually run out of my yearly medication allotment in November each year, forcing me to pay the full retail price for all medications I purchase the last six weeks of each year. If the peristeen system costs too much, it could expand the doughnut hole to eight or ten weeks. However, if I had access to it, I'm sure I would use it frequently. Again, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:53 pm 

Patrick:
Is it possible by use of the Peristeen System that it might actually reduce the amount of certain medications needed and therefore may allow you to have enough of those medications to last the entire year?

Sorry if I'm out of line here, it's just a thought that came to mind when I read this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:11 pm 

Padded53,

No, you are not out of line at all. I do not know if the Peristeen system would replace any of my current medications. I would need to hear the advice of a physiatrist (a physician who specializes in rehabilitative medicine) who would look over my medical history and decide. Although my experience with using enemas to manage my GI system is positive and encouraging, using them consumes valuable time in the bathroom when I have other family members whose needs far outweigh my own.