www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 pm 

Hello. I just thought I'd put this out there to update you all.

3 years ago, I had the inspiration to start a non profit to help those in need access high quality incontinence supplies not covered by Medicaid. I was operating unofficially, soliciting donations from friends who trusted me to help those who said they were in need. I discovered quickly that without structure and support, that the endeavor would not last long. I have since gone to the position of agreeing to distribute to those who are able to pay shipping fees and I supply only what is in my inventory, not directly buying diapers from a store and shipping it to them. I eventually learned that ANY fundraising on my part without incorporation would count against my SSDI. So, I need to raise funds for founding costs, but can't fund raise without establishing a 501(c)3. It's like the chicken and the egg. I also am not sure about what I'm trying to do and how to do it. Sure, i want to help those who need help getting supplies, with particular emphasis on premium products. But then I realized its awfully hard to have a mission statement of providing access to quality incontinence supplies without sounding like an advertiser. Then there's the vetting process for individuals to prevent abuse. I want to ensure that those who are actually facing incontinence get what they need and weed out those who don't have medical need for supplies. I was speaking to someone in need and I brought up needing documentation and they asked why do you need documentation? So that I know that you actually are incontinent and not a recreational user. And then they said you think im an AB? And then proceeded to get really angry. No, but I really don't know. It's entirely possible that without some filter critera, those without any need whatsoever will apply to get free diapers. But on the other hand, HIPPA laws may make it problematic to establish actual need. So, I'm really left wondering what to do about this whole thing. I am not giving up, but establishing a non profit is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Peace out.
Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:02 pm 

Welcome to the complex world of nonprofits. I wish you success establishing your own non-profit; it is laudable and worthy of our support. However, you have taken on a difficult challenge; learning the details involved in incorporation, regulation, reporting and day-to-day management will occupy much time and effort. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 am 

Your concept is good, however you might have more success partnering with an established entity that already has the necessary legal status, systems and even contacts within the community you wish to serve. The other issue is continuity. It can take years to put together a successful endeavor. If you want it to last beyond your involvement then it may need to be part of a larger organization. Ultimately, a better solution may be to lobby the government and insurance companies to expand their coverage to include incontinence product (or better quality products).